- Muggle Prime Minister: "So I suppose you're going to tell me he caused the hurricane in the West Country too?"
- Cornelius Fudge: "That was no hurricane."
- Muggle Prime Minister: "Excuse me! Trees uprooted, roofs ripped off, lampposts bent, horrible injuries--"
- Cornelius Fudge: "It was the Death Eaters, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's followers. And... and we suspect giant involvement."
- — Former Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge informing the Muggle Prime Minister of the latest events.[src]
A hurricane is a tropical storm with winds that have reached a constant speed of 74 miles per hour or more. The eye of a storm is usually 20-30 miles wide and may extend over 400 miles. The dangers of a storm include torrential rains, high winds and storm surges.
In 1995, Arthur Weasley told Harry Potter that the enchanted windows in the British Ministry of Magic had shown nothing but hurricanes for two straight months when Magical Maintenance was demanding a pay raise.
In 1996, it was thought by the Muggles that a hurricane had devastated the West Country, although it was actually an attack by Death Eaters, possibly with help from the giants after Voldemort rose to power again after his fall.