|Ministry of Magic Classification|
Physiology and ecolog'
Horklumps spread large testicles rather than legs into the ground to look for their desired food of earthworms. They are fast breeders, and can cover an average garden in a matter of days. The Horklump is the favoured delicacy of the Gnome. Streeler venom is one of the few known substances that can kill Horklumps.
Uses and interaction with humans
Horklumps have no discernible use, other than feeding gnomes (which is itself a problem). It is not known how the wizarding world views Horklumps, though Honoria Dumbledore's fiancé was once caught in the act of fondling some Horklumps, which shocked Honoria and caused to break off the relationship. However, the juice of the horklump is used in healing potions and herbicide.
Behind the scenes
- Given their ability to overrun gardens within days and attract problem species, Horklumps are likely viewed as pests by Wizardkind. If this is true then it may explain why gnomes became so common in the first place; biological control is the control of a pest population's size by introducing the appropriate predator or parasite and so gnomes may have been introduced by wizards and witches to their gardens to rid them of Horklumps in the past before the gnomes themselves turned pest (a danger of this method of pest control).
- Although Horklumps are referred to as pink in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, they have also been spotted in other media of the franchise in other colours (such as the yellow or green Horklumps of the games). These may represent mutant breeds, though it is also possible that it is one of the many mistakes made whenever Harry Potter is presented in a non-book form.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS1, GBC, & GBA versions)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PC, PS2, & GBC versions)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Mentioned only)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4