This orchestra was a musical group comprised of students from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. They would sometimes play by themselves, but also as public entertainment, and accompany the Frog Choir. The orchestra was comprised of saxophonists, violinists, cellists, flutists, drummers, harpists, tubists and harpsichordists. In the 1990s, its conductor was Professor Flitwick.
1993-1994 school year
On 1 September 1993, the orchestra and the Frog Choir led a presentation of Something Wicked This Way Comes during the Start-of-Term Feast after the Sorting ceremony. The choir members sang while carrying toads (one of which was Trevor, Neville Longbottom's toad) which croaked during the song, and were accompanied by a harpischord, a drum, a harp, and flutes. While Filius Flitwick joined the feast, the choir and the orchestra retreated from the Hall after the song.
The Triwizard Tournament
In the 1994–1995 school year, the Triwizard Tournament was held at the school and the orchestra played just before the third task for public entertainment. These songs included The Hogwarts March, which was recited frequently. The choir also performed at the Yule Ball on Christmas Eve. Flitwick led the orchestra as they played a waltz at the beginning of the dance, but they stopped when the Weird Sisters took over from them.
Behind the scenes
- Neither the choir nor the orchestra appear in any of the books, making their first appearance in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It was added by director Alfonso Cuarón and J.K. Rowling admitted that she simply loved the idea. Cuarón even considered having little people play an organ in the Great Hall along with the choir but this idea was rejected by J. K. Rowling.
- The orchestra in all instances is made up a collection of students from the Aylesbury Music Centre, as it is situated close to Pinewood Studios where the majority of the scenes are filmed.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Indirectly)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
Notes and references
|The Eleven Schools||Beauxbatons · Castelobruxo · Durmstrang · Hogwarts · Ilvermorny · Koldovstoretz · Mahoutokoro · Uagadou|
|Specialised schools||Academy of Broom Flying · Charm School · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Merge School of Under-Water Spellage · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|
|Examinations||First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test|
|Core classes||Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes||Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extra-curricular classes||Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Frog Choir · Ghoul Studies · Hogwarts orchestra · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|