The Hogwarts kitchens are located directly under the Great Hall, down the same staircase that leads to the Hufflepuff Common Room. It contains five tables identical to and directly below those in the Great Hall; food must simply be placed upon the tables in the kitchens, and it magically appears on the corresponding tables in the Great Hall above. The kitchens are staffed by over one hundred house-elves including Dobby, Winky, and Kreacher (after Harry Potter inherited him and ordered him there in 1996). Helga Hufflepuff brought the house-elves to work in the kitchens as a way of ensuring they could work without being abused. To gain access to the kitchens, one must tickle the pear painted in a portrait of a bowl of fruit, (It squirms and giggles) which then turns into a green door knob.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Notes and references