The Frog Choir was a singing group of Hogwarts students conducted by Professor Filius Flitwick. They usually practised in the Great Hall. The choir is quite talented, being able to both sing fluently in Latin as well as polyphonically.
The Frog Choir was presumably founded sometime during Celestina Warbeck's time at Hogwarts (1928-1936) as a result of her mother's frequent letters to the school demanding, among other artistic pursuits, a choir.
1993-1994 school year
On 1 September 1993, the choir led a presentation of Something Wicked This Way Comes during the Welcoming Feast after the Sorting ceremony. The choir members sang while carrying toads (one of which was Trevor, Neville Longbottom's toad) which croaked during the song, and were accompanied by a harpsichord, a drum, a harp, and flutes. While Filius Flitwick joined the feast, the choir retreated from the Hall after the song.
1995-1996 school year
In 1995, Dolores Umbridge was put in charge of observing teachers and their lessons and inspected one of Flitwick's choir practises in the Great Hall. As she watched, Flitwick turned and smiled at her while conducting, as though waiting for her to praise the Frog Choir, though she just got out a pink measuring tape. She seemed pleased and impressed, before embarrassing Flitwick with a measuring tape.
1996-1997 school year
In early October 1996, the choir had an emergency practise that forced Professor Flitwick to retreat from Hogsmeade Village back to Hogwarts Castle; it is unknown if there actually was a Choir Practise or if Flitwick was merely using it as an excuse to avoid Slughorn. At the end of the school year, Flitwick had a rehearsal with the choir in the Great Hall late in the evening. As they sang the English and Latin song, In Noctem, clouds rolled in around the school and the Battle of the Astronomy Tower was soon to begin. Midway through the session, Minerva McGonagall interrupted and told Flitwick to wake the incumbent Potions Master, Severus Snape.
- Filius Flitwick (conductor)
- Celestina Warbeck (possibly)
- Unidentified Choir Member (I)
- Unidentified Choir Member (II)
Behind the scenes
- The choir does not appear in any of the books, making its first appearance in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It was added by director Alfonso Cuarón and J.K. Rowling admitted that she simply loved the idea. Cuarón even considered having little people play an organ in the Great Hall along with the choir but J. K. Rowling ultimately rejected this idea.
- In the video game version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and the video game version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for GBC there is one Music Classroom featured on the Fifth Floor of Hogwarts. It could be a possible place for the Choir to practise. During Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, however, the choir is shown to practise in the Great Hall.
- During the opening celebrations of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter there was a performance of The Hogwarts March and Something Wicked This Way Comes by the Choir, directed by Warwick Davis, just like in the movies.
- The name is a bit of a misnomer in that the students hold toads, which are similar to, but not the same as frogs.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the non-canon character Bem is part of the Frog Choir.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Pottermore (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (mentioned only)
Notes and references
|The Eleven Schools: Beauxbatons · Castelobruxo · Durmstrang · Hogwarts · Ilvermorny · Koldovstoretz · Mahoutokoro · Uagadou|
|Specialised schools: Academy of Broom Flying · Charm School · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Merge School of Under-Water Spellage · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|
|Examinations: First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test|
|Core classes: Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes: Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extra-curricular classes: Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Frog Choir · Ghoul Studies · Hogwarts orchestra · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|