The Hogwarts boats are traditionally used to transport the first year students, accompanied by Hogwarts gamekeeper Hagrid across Black Lake to the castle at the start of the school year. The boats only transport first years to the school, as second to seventh years travel in carriages. The boats move without the aid of paddles. During the Hogwarts graduation ceremony, the seventh-years ride the boats back across the lake as they leave the school for the last time.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, boats were used to transport the 4 Champions competing in the Triwizard Tournament, along with the spectators and judges, to the platforms in the Black Lake for the Second Task in the tournament.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Seen in intro and cutscene)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Seen in intro)