- "The little boats carried them through a curtain of ivy which hid a wide opening in the cliff face. They were carried along a dark tunnel, which seemed to be taking them right underneath the castle, until they reached a kind of under-ground harbour, where they clambered out onto the rocks."
- —The first year students' boat journey to Hogwarts[src]
The Hogwarts boats are traditionally used to transport the first year students, accompanied by Hogwarts gamekeeper Hagrid across the Black Lake from Hogsmeade Station to the castle at the start of the school year. At the end of the school year, first years take the boats back across the lake to Hogsmeade Station.
During the Hogwarts graduation ceremony, the seventh-years ride the boats back across the lake as they leave the school for the last time.
The boats disembark at a boat dock under the castle, but stairs lead to the lawn, while entry to the castle proper is made through the front doors. Each boat can hold up to 4 students, while Hagrid gets a boat to himself. The boats only transport first years to the school, as second to seventh years travel in carriages. The boats move without the aid of paddles, seemingly at Hagrid's command.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, boats were used to transport the 4 Champions competing in the Triwizard Tournament, along with the spectators and judges, to the platforms in the Black Lake for the Second Task in the tournament.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Seen in intro and cutscene)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Seen in intro)