- Harry Potter: "I don't suppose you know where I can find a map of Hogwarts?"
- Fred Weasley: "You'll have to go down to the dungeons, which lead off from the Entrance Hall. But that's not the worst part. You’re going to have to avoid Filch the caretaker and his cat, Mrs. Norris. And get into his office without him noticing. Make sure you get it, though, as finding your way around the school is very tricky without it."
- Harry Potter: "Well, I think I'll give it a try anyway."
- — Harry Potter discusses obtaining a map of Hogwarts Castle with Fred Weasley[src]
The Hogwarts Map is, as the name implies, a map charting most of the interiors and grounds of Hogwarts Castle. The map did not show certain rooms, and it did not point out the many secret passages around the school.
It was kept by Argus Filch in a storeroom off his sleeping quarters until Harry Potter stole it in October, 1992, so that he could navigate the school easier. The usefulness of this map was later supplanted by the Marauder's Map, which not only showed the entire castle including secret passages, but also displayed the current location of anyone in the castle.
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - GBA version