|Hogwarts' Giant Squid|
Early 1976 or earlier
The Giant Squid was a creature that lived in the Black Lake. Despite the generalised fear of it, the Giant Squid was actually very docile and helpful to the students of Hogwarts, such as when Dennis Creevey fell into the Lake, and he was immediately pushed safely back into the boat. The squid was also known to have played with students, such as when Fred Weasley, George Weasley and Lee Jordan tickled its tentacles as it was lying part way out of the lake, and to have accepted food from students, such as when it received toast from Hermione Granger.
Early on in his time at Hogwarts, Ronald Weasley thought Tom Riddle may have received his Special Award for Services to the School for saving a teacher from the squid, and in his fourth year, half-jokingly expressed his hope that there was some chance the squid would harm Viktor Krum, who was bathing in the lake. Needless to say, Riddle's award had nothing to do with Hogwarts' Giant Squid, and Viktor was unharmed, as the squid was demonstrably not a threat to anyone.
Behind the scenes
- J. K. Rowling once joked that the Squid is Godric Gryffindor, one of the four founders of Hogwarts. This would make it the world's largest Animagus. On the eleventh hour of every evening, The Squid would rise from the lake and transform into Gryffindor, who would wander the school grounds before returning at sunrise. This cannot be considered canon, however, because Rowling was trying to make a point sarcastically.
- The Giant Squid has not appeared in any of the Harry Potter movies. However, it was originally set to make a brief appearance in Prisoner of Azkaban during the scene where Harry rides Buckbeak over Black Lake, as evidenced by an early script.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Cut from final film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Appears in artwork)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Notes and references
- ↑ Prisoner of Azkaban script at the Internet Movie Script Database (archived here via the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine)