Early on in his time at Hogwarts, Ronald Weasley thought Tom Riddle may have received his Special Award for Services to the School for saving a teacher from the squid, and in his fourth year, half-jokingly expressed his hope that there was some chance the squid would harm Viktor Krum, who was bathing in the lake. Needless to say, Riddle's award had nothing to do with Hogwarts' Giant Squid, and Viktor was unharmed, as the squid was demonstrably not a threat to anyone.
Behind the scenes
- J. K. Rowling once joked that the Squid is Godric Gryffindor, one of the four founders of Hogwarts. This would make it the world's largest Animagus. On the eleventh hour of every evening, The Squid would rise from the lake and transform into Gryffindor, who would wander the school grounds before returning at sunrise.
- The Giant Squid has not appeared in any of the Harry Potter movies. However, it was originally set to make a brief appearance in Prisoner of Azkaban during the scene where Harry rides Buckbeak over Black Lake, as evidenced by an early script.
- The fact that the Giant Squid is magical may be how it is able to survive in the Black Lake as a normal giant squid is a deep-sea-dwelling creature and cannot live in fresh water that can be found in inland lochs in Scotland as the sunlight, pressure and lack of salinity, space and food would be fatal to it - bred and toast would also be unable to be digested by it, and sticks would break its skin if they tickled it. However, as the Durmstrang ship arrived by underwater portal and it is implied that you can travel to other places via underwater if magical, the giant squid may be able to do the same as the Ship and leave the loch and receive the required levels of space, salt, depth and food whenever it needs to.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Cut from final film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Appears in artwork)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Notes and references
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Great Lake" at Pottermore
- ↑ As seen here:
- ↑ Troll and Toad: Giant Squid card, Harry Potter Trading Card Game - 040 - uncommon. The squid, on the card, is purple.
- ↑ Prisoner of Azkaban script at the Internet Movie Script Database (archived here via the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine)