|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
- "Hogsmeade, next stop!"
- —The Conductor.[src]
- "Ya' know, I tried one of those [Muggle recording cameras], and it does not taste like an apple."
- —The conductor relays information on his past experiences with "Muggle contraptions".[src]
This individual was born somewhere in the British Isles, at some point in or before 1960, given his British accent. He does not seem to have been raised around Muggles. In his youth, he attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and admitted to have gone into the kitchens on at least one occasion. After his education in the magical arts, he joined the Hogwarts Railways and started working as the conductor of the Hogwarts Express sometime before 1978.
Conductor of the Hogwarts Express
In the summer of 1993, Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban, where he was imprisoned on false charges. Having met the man as a student years prior, the conductor did not believe he was, as the Ministry of Magic had declared, an ally of the Dark Lord. On 1 September 1993, the train was stopped on its way to Hogwarts for inspection by Dementors searching for Black. During the stop, Remus Lupin went to have a word with the driver. The Hogwarts Express non-stop journey from King's Cross to Hogsmeade was interrupted briefly, but the conductor still managed to assist it in arriving at its destination on time.
- "All aboard."
- —The conductor[src]
Behind the scenes
- As a wizard with strong connections to Hogwarts, he, along with the Honeydukes Express lady, may have been called upon to participate in the Battle of Hogwarts, however this is unknown.
- The conductor is included in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The conductor of the Hogwarts Express knows anything and everything about the village of Hogsmeade. He maintains a keen knowledge of what can be purchased where throughout the area, as well as knowing the history of the village and all the locations within. Visitors to the town may stop by the station to ask him any number of questions, as he enjoys answering any query delivered his way. The conductor carries with him at all times a gold enchanted pocket watch that he uses to be sure everything in his charge is always on time. The Hogwarts Express engine head plaque is engraved on the top of the watch cover along with the engine number of the Hogwarts Express, 5972. On the reverse side is the Hogwarts school crest and motto. The face of the watch is enchanted but may appear to show the words "Hogsmeade Station" on the top of the face, "King's Cross" on the bottom, with the left hand side reading: "Late" and the right hand side reading: "On time".
- Through the film series a lot of people can be seen with clothes identical to his own, so it is possible that he appears in the films too, despite never identified.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance) (GBC version only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mention and voice only) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (GBA version only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Heard only) (Possible appearance)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Notes and references
- ↑ A callsheet for auditions for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Japan (transcription here) lists the Hogwarts Express conductor as being portrayed as between his mid-30s and 60s.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 He claims to have tried a camera once, and that it "does not taste like an apple". As such, it is unlikely he grew up among Muggles.
- ↑ "More Wizarding World Preview on LeakyTV - June 4, 2010" on Youtube.
- ↑ He claimed to have met Sirius Black while he was a student at Hogwarts, so this is the latest date he could have started working as the conductor, as Sirius graduated the summer of that year.
- ↑ "Infinitus - Hogwarts Express Conductor" on Youtube.
- ↑ "Conductor of the Hogwarts Express from "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter"" on Youtube.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "Ryan meets the Conductor of the Howarts Express!" on Youtube.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) - GBC version
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Chapter 5 (The Dementor)