They are black in colour, with headlamps attached to the front. During inclement weather, hoods are attached to the top of the carriages, but in fair weather, the tops are left open. They are pulled by Thestrals, skeletal winged horses that only people who have seen death can see.
Behind the scenes
- In a deleted scene from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, several students are caught kissing in the carriages by Professor Snape during the night of the Yule Ball. In the novel, this scene takes place in the rose garden.
- In the second film, there are carriages which transport Hogwarts students to Hogsmeade Station for Christmas holidays that are pulled by white horses instead of the Thestrals.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (mentioned only)