- "We are looking for talented young witches and wizards with a liking for danger."
- —A recruitment advertisement[src]
Alastor Gumboil, handles applications for Hit Witches and Hit Wizards from room 919 at the Ministry.
The Department of Magical Law Enforcement maintains squads of trained Hit-Witches and Wizards whose job it is to move out at a moment's notice in dire and dangerous situations, be it to disperse the crowd during riots or apprehend dangerous wizarding criminals once they have been located. While Hit Wizards is trained to fight Dark Wizards, just like the Aurors, the latter appear to differ in that unlike Hit Wizards, they are more of an elite force whose abilities goes far beyond simply arresting suspects. such as investigation, concealment and disguise, stealth and tracking, poisons and antidotes, etc, whereas Hit Wizards appeared to be primarily a fighting force, and not trained to investigate crime.
- 17 years of age or older
- five or more O.W.L.s including Defence Against the Dark Arts
- not of nervous disposition
- starting salary of 700 Galleons per month
- Ministry of Magic broomstick
- regular bed at Saint Mungo's
Known Hit Wizards
Behind the scenes
- While the origin of the name Hit Wizard is unknown, it is generally believed by fans that Rowling intended them to be Aurors; but had not created the name "Auror" at the time of their introduction.
- According to Officer Cerberus Langarm of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, whose duties have described in the game Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World and are identical to those described to be carried out by a Hit Wizard, he is "trained to fight Dark Wizards". This might indicate that while Aurors are investigators who track down Dark Witches and Wizards, Hit Wizards are just trained combatants. Indeed, considering how Sirius Black was believed to be a Death Eater working for Voldemort, the greatest adversary of the British Auror Department in the late 20th century, it would appear that Hit-Wizards might be called upon by Aurors to assist in bringing in Dark Wizards once their location has been pinpointed.
Notes and references