Hestia Jones was a British witch and member of the Order of the Phoenix during the Second Wizarding War. She was part of the Advance Guard in 1995 and later escorted the Dursleys from their home to a safe location, along with Dedalus Diggle.
Hestia Jones was born somewhere in the British Isles no later than the year of 1978, into a wizarding family of unknown degree. She presumably purchased a wand from Ollivander's Wand Shop at the age of eleven and attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry during her formative years like most magical children in the wizarding community. Since she did not appear in the photography or is otherwise indicated of having been a member of the original Order, she might have been too young at the time, and possibly attended school during or after the First Wizarding War.
Second Wizarding War (1995-1998)
She was among the members of the Advance Guard, a group of members of the Order who had volunteered to escort Harry Potter safely from the house of his aunt and uncle at 4 Privet Drive in Surrey to their headquarters at 12 Grimmauld Place in London. Whilst examining the Dursley's kitchen, she came across a potato peeler in a drawer and found it was immensely funny. A few days later, Hestia borrowed Alastor Moody's invisibility cloak after relieving Kingsley Shacklebolt of guard duty and stood watch over the entrance of the Department of Mysteries in order to prevent Death Eaters from entering the area to steal a prophecy Lord Voldemort wished to get a hold of.
In 1997, she escorted the Dursleys from their home to a safe location. Hestia was surprised when she saw that the Dursleys did not care about Harry at all and also got very angry when they said that they did not know where Harry was about to go.
Hestia was described as a young, black-haired woman with pink cheeks.
Personality and traits
Hestia was a good, kind person who liked Harry Potter and was shocked when she learned that his uncle, aunt, and cousin did not know where he was going in 1997. She was also quite a tactful person, suggesting that Dedalus and herself should wait outside whilst Harry and the Dursleys said goodbye to each other. This shows that she didn't know much about Harry's relationship with the Dursleys as well as the fact that she is quite a caring person. She also appeared to be rather intelligent, cleverly seeing past the Ministry of Magic's denial of the Dark Lord's return, as well as very brave in the face of adversity, siding with Albus Dumbledore and the rest of those who had rallied to his side to oppose Lord Voldemort at a great personal risk, and despite the very real possibility that the Ministry of Magic would go out of its way to tarnish her reputation if her allegiance to Dumbledore became known outside of the Order. She was also one of the few who was unafraid to call Voldemort by his true name. In her work for the Order of the Phoenix, Hestia proved herself to be no less brave, dependable and selfless than anyone else in the Order, displaying great bravery and resilience through her participation in the war effort and an admirable selfless willingness to put her own life on the line for the sake of following through with the Order's resistance movements against the Dark Forces.
Magical abilities and skills
- Magical skills: A member of the reconstituted Order Of The Phoenix, Hestia was an accomplished witch, with sufficient ability to fulfil her duties satisfactorily and do solid work for the Order. Like most members of the Order, she was presumably able to send messages using her Patronus, which is a highly advanced piece of magic that was known to be well above N.E.W.T. level.
- Dueling: Hestia must have been a proficient duelist in her own right, as she was sufficiently confident in her own abilities that she chose to volunteer to participate in the escort of Harry Potter on broomsticks, hinting her ability to handle herself in combat to be good enough to do so even during mid-flight, which is noted to be no small feat. She also guarded the entrance of the Department of Mysteries for the Order, in which capacity she was expected to prevent Death Eaters from breaking in to steal the prophecy, which would have required her to engage them in a duel if they had done so on her watch. It is also very possible that, as a member of the Order not lacking in courage, she arrived alongside the reinforcements at the end of the Battle of Hogwarts.
- Defensive charms/Security: Hestia might have displayed a particular proclivity for defensive spellwork, as she was assigned the task of transporting the Dursleys to a safe house that obviously would have to be magically well protected to prevent Voldemort from tracking them down. Hestia and Dedalus Diggle presumably also was adapt at casting masking spells, as they would have to in order to prevent the Death Eater-controlled using owls to find them.
- Flying: As seen during the instance where she escorted Harry alongside her allies, Hestia was a sufficiently skilled flyer to have confidence in her ability to handle potential attacks while flying, which even fellow Order member Nymphadora Tonks, who was a trained Auror, remarked to be very difficult.
Hestia seems to like Harry Potter when she first met him in 1995. She was a member of the Advance Guard, a group of members of the Order of the Phoenix which safely escorted Harry from 4 Privet Drive to 12 Grimmauld Place. She met Harry again in 1997, when she and Dedalus Diggle helped the Dursleys hide from Death Eaters. She was surprised and very angry when she saw that the Dursleys weren't proud of Harry, and that they even didn't care about where he would go when he left their home.
Hestia did not have a good start to her relationship with the Dursleys. She was surprised (and very angry) when she saw that they didn't love Harry at all and that they didn't care about where he would go after he would leave their house. However, the relationship between Hestia and the Dursleys may have improved as they were hidden from Death Eaters together, but this is highly unlikely because the Dursleys were completely normal and despised magic. The Dursleys only maintained a stable relationship with Harry at the very end and it was Dudley who became kinder, expressing his thanks to Harry for saving his life.
Order of the Phoenix members
Hestia had a good relationship with the most of the Order of the Phoenix members, including Remus Lupin, Alastor Moody, Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, Emmeline Vance, and Sturgis Podmore, as they were all members of the Advance Guard in 1995. Most of them were killed in battles an it is unknown how Hestia reacted when she learned about their deaths. She may also have been a friend of Albus Dumbledore and she possibly attended his funeral.
Hestia is named after the Greek goddess Hestia, who is the goddess of the hearth and of the right ordering of domesticity and the family. The link between Hestia Jones and the Greek goddess Hestia is cleverly underlined by Rowling in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, as during Harry's introduction to Hestia, she waves from next to the toaster.
Behind the scenes
- She might possibly be related to Megan Jones, Peter Jones and Gwenog Jones, although it is a common surname.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Cut from final edit)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ She was a member of the Order of the Phoenix in 1995, and members were required to be "of age," seventeen or older, meaning that she could not have been born any later than 1978.
- ↑ Hestia laughed at a potato pealer. She probably wouldn't if she would be muggle-born.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 3 (The Advance Guard) - "and Hestia Jones." A pink-cheeked, black-haired witch waved from next to the toaster."
- ↑ Harry notices that she blushes - she is "pink cheeked"; on someone of a darker skin tone it would not be noticeable.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Second Draft