Hestia Carrow was a witch and Slytherin student who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the 1990s. She and her twin sister, Flora were both members of the Slug Club. Hestia was present in the Great Hall prior to the Battle of Hogwarts when classmate Pansy Parkinson urged students to hand over Harry Potter to Lord Voldemort.
1996-1997 school year
- "The ceiling and walls had been draped with emerald, crimson and gold hangings, so that it looked as though they were all inside a vast tent. The room was crowded and stuffy and bathed in the red light cast by an ornate golden lamp dangling from the centre of the ceiling in which real fairies were fluttering, each a brilliant speck of light."
- —Slug Club Christmas party that Hestia attended[src]
Hestia was sorted into Slytherin House along with her identical twin sister, Flora, at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at the age of eleven, and became a member of the Slug Club in the 1996–1997 school year.
Hestia and her sister were seemingly quiet at Slug Club meetings, and both had a fondness for the colour green, which they wore not only as part of their House robes, but by their choosing, as reflected by the formal dresses they wore to the Slug Club Christmas party.
1997-1998 school year
- "Before Harry could speak, there was a massive movement. The Gryffindors in front of him had risen and stood facing, not Harry, but the Slytherins."
- —Wands being turned on the Slytherin students moments before the battle[src]
Hestia was present in the Great Hall prior to the Battle of Hogwarts when classmate Pansy Parkinson urged students to hand over Harry Potter to Lord Voldemort. At the beginning of The Battle of Hogwarts, Hestia and her sister were seen departing to the Dungeons. It is not known if she lived through the battle, though it is highly likely given that her and her sister's natures are not battle-oriented, and thus they would likely have fled at the first chance.
"Hestia" comes from the Greek Ἑστία (estía, meaning "hearth"). Hestia is the Greek goddess of the hearth, architecture, the right ordering of domesticity, the family, and the state. She is therefore one of the more mighty Greek gods.
Behind the scenes
- This character is only introduced in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Part 1 and Part 2 of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- Hestia Carrow is portrayed by actress Ruby Evans.
- Both she and her sister Flora were likely invited to join the Slug Club due to their pure-blood heritage (and perhaps a devotion to Slytherin House, possibly indicated by their fondness for green). The Carrow family are one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight, meaning they are one of the twenty-eight pure-blooded families left in Great Britain.
- It is likely that the Carrow twins are related to Alecto and Amycus Carrow, as all four of them have Greco-Roman forenames and the same surname.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (As "Slytherin Twin #2")
Notes and references
- ↑ They must have been at least eleven years old to attend Hogwarts.
- ↑ World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling
- ↑ The Carrow family wad listed as one of the Sacred twenty-eight familes. However, as she was born after the 1930s, there is a possibility that she was half-blood.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 New original characters cast for Half-Blood Prince