Herbology is the study of magical and mundane plants and fungi, making it the wizarding equivalent to botany. In Herbology, students learn to care for and utilize plants, and learn about their magical properties, and what they are used for. Many plants provide ingredients for potions and medicine, while others have magical effects of their own right.
These classes are held in the grounds of Hogwarts, in the greenhouses. The greenhouses are located below the two main Bell Towers of the castle. Classes are held in different greenhouses depending on the students' year, with more advanced and dangerous plants typically reserved for O.W.L. or N.E.W.T.-level study.
Herbology is a mandatory class at Hogwarts for the first five years of a student's education.
Students spend class time learning about the different varieties of magical plants that exsist. The further into a student's education the more difficult and dangerous the plants become.
In the fifth year students take Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations, much of the year is spent working with a variety of more dangerous plants like the Fanged Geranium, as well as revisiting the past four years of lessons. As part of their Herbology O.W.L, students must sit a written exam, and then complete a practical exam, during which the students work with a wide selection of plants.
Students who achieve an 'Exceeds Expectations' grade or higher in their Herbology O.W.L. move on to the advanced class, where the plants become more dangerous still. At the end of there seventh year students prepare for their N.E.W.T.s.
Pomona Sprout was at Hogwarts as Herbology professor in the 1990's; by 2017, however, she had either been replaced by, or was working alongside Neville Longbottom, who was likewise a professor. Neville was one of her students in the past, and a gifted herbologist.
- Fire-Making Spell
- Venomous Tentacula (Not practicaly)
- Spiky Bush
- Bouncing Bulb
- Severing Charm
- Dried Nettles
- Mandrake Root
- Lumos Solem
- Devil's Snare
- Severing Charm (Revision)
- Bowtruckles and how defeat them using Severing Charm.
- Spiky Bush (Revision)
- Venomous Tentacula ((Not practicaly) Revision)
- Incendio Duo
- Slugs and how to defeat them using Incendio Duo.
- Puffapods (Revision)
- Leaping Toadstools
- Abyssinian Shrivelfigs
- Orchideous Jinx
- Incendio (Revision)
- Learning the properties of Bubotuber pus and how to safely collect it.
- Gillyweed and it's uses.
- Incendio (Revision to prepare to O.W.L.s)
- Self-Fertilizing Shrubs
- Chinese Chomping Cabbage
- Fanged Geranium
- Dragon dung – used as fertiliser (Professor Sprout's fertiliser of preference).
- Dragon dung compost – used for planting.
- Dragon-hide gloves – worn when handling dangerous plants.
- Earmuffs – worn by students and the professor when repotting Mandrakes, so they could not harm students with their sound.
- Mooncalf dung – used as fertiliser, makes magical plants grow well.
- Wand - to cast Herbology-related spells, such as Diffindo or Incendio.
- Encyclopedia of Toadstools
- Flesh-Eating Trees of the World – N.E.W.T.-level
- Magical Water Plants of the Mediterranean
- One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
- Barty Crouch Jr.
- Bill Weasley
- Ernie Macmillan
- George Weasley
- Hannah Abbott
- Harry Potter
- Hermione Granger
- Neville Longbottom
- Percy Weasley
- Pomona Sprout
- Ron Weasley
Behind the scenes
- As revealed in Pottermore, J. K. Rowling had originally devised this class to be called "Herbalism".
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Chapter 8 - The Potions Master) (pg. 99 UK edition)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Nineteen Years Later) (pg. 606 UK edition)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Chapter 14 - Felix Felicis) (pg.283 American edition)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Chapter 6 - Gilderoy Lockhart) (pg. 72 UK edition)
- ↑ Pottermore - Hogwarts School Subjects (J.K. Rowling's thoughts)
|The Eleven Schools: Beauxbatons · Castelobruxo · Durmstrang · Hogwarts · Ilvermorny · Koldovstoretz · Mahoutokoro · Uagadou|
|Specialised schools: Academy of Broom Flying · Charm School · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Merge School of Under-Water Spellage · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|
|Examinations: First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test|
|Core classes: Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes: Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extra-curricular classes: Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Frog Choir · Ghoul Studies · Hogwarts orchestra · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|
|Professors: Herbert Beery · Pomona Sprout · Neville Longbottom|
|Textbooks: Flesh-Eating Trees of the World · Goshawk's Guide to Herbology · Magical Water Plants of the Mediterranean · One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi · Winogrand's Wonderous Water Plants|
|Hogwarts class: Herbology Award · Herbology Lesson Cup · Herbology Race Cup · Herbology Store|
|Hogwarts greenhouses: One · Two · Three · Four · Five · Six · Seven · Professor's Office|
|Herbologists: Herbert Beery · Miranda Goshawk · Elladora Ketteridge · Beaumont Marjoribanks · Nepali wizard · Phyllida Spore · Tilden Toots · Hadrian Whittle · Sir Winogrand · Selina Sapworthy|
|Plants Studied: Bouncing Bulb · Bubotuber · Devil's Snare · Fire Seed Bush · Mandrake · Mimbulus Mimbletonia · Puffapod · Screechsnap · Self-fertilising shrub · Snargaluff · Spiky Bush · Spiky Prickly Plant · Umbrella Flower · Venomous Tentacula · Walking plant · Whomping Willow · Wild rice|