At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Ladies and gentlemen, now tonight's keynote speaker needs no introduction from me. He's been mentioned as a future President — and if you don't believe me, just read his daddy's newspapers. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Senator for New York, Henry Shaw!"
- —Announcer at Henry Shaw Junior's fundraising dinner[src]
This fund-raising dinner was hosted by Senator Henry Shaw Junior on the evening of 6 December, 1926, at the New York City Hall, to raise money for his Senate re-election campaign. A white-tie affair, it was attended by hundreds of people, the crème de la crème of New York society.
The hall was ornately decorated with flags and other patriotic emblems; at the far end of the room, behind a stage, was a huge poster bearing Senator Shaw's likeness under a slogan that read "America's Future". Many round tables were scattered accross the hall, where people were seated.
Before dinner itself was served, an announcer stepped to the stage to present the night's keynote speaker, Senator Shaw himself (while, in the process, cracking a joke about the Senator's father's media empire slating him as a potential future President of the United States, and receiving indulgent laughter from the crowd).
Shaw came up to the stage under tumultuous applause and proceeded to deliver a speech about the progress that had been accomplished with Prohibition, and advocating that "the pool halls, and these private parlours" went the way of the "odious saloons". As Shaw was speaking, he was interrupted by a strange, hauting noise coming from the organ pipes at the end of the room; and as he recommenced, the strange noise got louder, prompting the guests to look around for the source of the disruption and worriedly start to mutter to each other.
Suddenly, the chandeliers shattered and the lights went out, just as a huge and bestial rush of wind burst forth from beneath the organ. The Obscurus soared across the hall, sending tables flying and throwing people around as it carved a line toward the stage where Shaw was still standing. The force threw Shaw backwards against his poster, and then raised him up high where he was suspended for just a moment in midair before being thrown violently back down onto the stage, dead.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- LEGO Dimensions
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, Scene 55 - The dinner takes place the night after Scamander and Kowalski's suspected bank robbery, which occurred on 6 December (see this image), and which is also the date on the issues of The New York Ghost being read by people at MACUSA that same day (see this image).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter: The Exhibition (see this image)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, Scene 55
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, Scene 58