The <verbatim> tag, available on some communities, allows for pages to be injected with HTML code that MediaWiki traditionally does not render, such as <a> (anchor), <script> or <style> tags.
It allows for communities to use code snippets provided by third-party providers, and integrate them into the wiki. However, new verbatim usages are not currently possible while Wikia performs a wide-ranging security review.
If you are looking to add Facebook or Twitter feed, please see Help:Social media integration. If you are looking to add SoundCloud or Spotify widgets, please see Help:Audio. If you have any questions, please contact Wikia Staff.
Prior to use
Step by step
- Collect the desired HTML from a trustworthy site.
- Choose a MediaWiki page for the code to reside on. Give it a name that describes the purpose of the code: for example, if you are embedding a Twitter widget, consider naming the page MediaWiki:TwitterWidget.
- Edit the page in source mode and paste in the code. Pay careful attention that all tags opened (such as <div> or <span>) have a corresponding closing tag (i.e. </div> or </span>).
- Save the MediaWiki page. More likely than not, it will not render in an aesthetically pleasing way. However, don't worry about how the MediaWiki page looks, it will look better once the verbatim tag is used.
- Go to the page that you wish to use the code on. Edit the page and write <verbatim></verbatim> in source mode, placing the MediaWiki page name between the opening and closing tags. For example, if you are using MediaWiki:TwitterWidget, write:
Note: if a targeted MediaWiki page doesn't exist, such as <verbatim>Notreal</verbatim>, the output is that string surrounded by greater-than and lesser-than signs (in this case, <Notreal>).