HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is a language used on websites to format the layout and content. Wiki pages are generally managed by wikitext rather than HTML, however, so only a limited number of HTML tags can be used on articles.
HTML (and wikitext) can be written and managed while using the editor's source mode.
HTML tags that can be used on Wikia
The following HTML tags can be used on articles:
- Keep it friendly
- The use of wikitext is recommended wherever possible, as HTML makes the text in the edit box harder to read and more intimidating for new users. Complex uses of HTML and CSS can be hidden away in templates where they are less likely to get in the way of the casual editor.
- Combine it with CSS
- CSS classes (
class="classname") can be stored in site stylesheets. Both classes and CSS inline styles (style="color:pink;") can be used with the HTML tags listed above, but note that classes and styles can also be used with many types of wikitext, especially tables, table rows and cells.
- Help with tables
- Wikimedia's help page
- Using HTML in Wikitext
- Information on using span tags
Further help & feedback
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check Help:Wikia Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Help:Contacting Wikia for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article
- Learn how to use Wikia in Wikia University: short how-to videos for all levels of experience