A web feed is a data format used for serving frequently updated content to users.
A content provider makes feeds available and may publish the feed link on their site. Users can subscribe to the feed using an aggregator application (also called a feed reader or a news reader) running on their computer. Some web browsers also have native options for feeds, such as Firefox.
Wikia provides outgoing RSS and Atom feeds for some pages, and pages can display incoming RSS feeds from other sites.
Which Wikia pages provide feeds?
RSS and Atom feeds are available for individual articles and for certain special pages. When you visit the page in question, you can append the page's URL with ?feed=rss or ?feed=atom to access the feed URL. If the URL already has elements that use the ? and = characters, you will need to include the & character in front of the feed elements, like &feed=rss or &feed=atom
Changes to any wikia
Use the URL for the wikia's Recent Changes page.
- Example: The RSS feed URL for recent changes on Community Central: http://c.wikia.com/wiki/Special:RecentChanges?feed=rss
New pages added to any wikia
Use the URL for the wikia's New Pages page.
- Example: The RSS feed URL for new pages on Community Central: http://c.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewPages?feed=rss
Changes to any wikia article
Use the URL for the article's history page.
- Example: The RSS feed URL for Community Central's main page: http://c.wikia.com/wiki/Harry_Potter_Wiki?action=history&feed=rss
- Note that the addition of the & is needed here, since the feed element follows ?action=history
- Format: http://c.wikia.com/api.php?action=feedwatchlist&feedformat=rss&wlowner=MyUserName&wltoken=blahblah
- feedformat: can be "rss" or "atom"
- wlowner: your username
- wltoken: the token you set in your Preference>Under the Hood
- Note that the addition of the & is needed here, since many other parameters follows ?action=feedwatchlist
More information about this method can be found on API:Watchlist feed on MediaWiki.org.
How do I publish RSS content from another site?
The basic syntax is
<rss>URL goes here</rss>.
See Help:RSS for more details and options.
Social media feeds and widgets
Please see Help:Social media integration.