On 24 June, 1995, the Third Task for the Triwizard Tournament was to navigate a hedge maze grown on the Hogwarts Quidditch pitch. The maze was populated by various obstacles and dangers that each Champion had to overcome. Bartemius Crouch Jr., as Professor Moody, was entrusted with placing the Triwizard Cup at the centre of the maze. While doing this, he enchanted the Cup to become a Portkey that would be activated by touching the object.
Harry and Cedric, tying for first place after two tasks, were to enter the maze first, followed by Viktor, and then Fleur. The first Champion to successfully navigate the maze and reach the Cup would be declared the winner. During the task, Cedric encountered a Blast-Ended Skrewt, which he barely escaped from. Harry had to deal with a Boggart in the form of a Dementor, and overcame an odd golden mist which turned things upside-down. Crouch Jr, however, was leaving nothing to chance. Using Moody's magical eye, he watched events unfold in the maze, keeping the more dangerous obstacles out of Harry's path. He also Stunned Fleur, and placed the Imperius Curse on Viktor. He used Viktor to attack Cedric with the Cruciatus Curse in order to clear Harry's path to the Cup.
The Blast-Ended Skrewt and the Sphinx
Harry encountered the Blast-Ended Skrewt that had attacked Cedric, then heard Cedric being tortured, and rescued him by Stunning Viktor. Cedric and Harry parted company, and Harry had to answer a riddle from a Sphinx to continue on into the maze.
Conclusion of the Third Task
Cedric and Harry joined forces to defeat an Acromantula, before they both arrived at the Cup together. After an argument over who deserved to win more, they decided to take the Cup together, since it would still be a Hogwarts victory. Touching the Cup at the same moment, they activated it as a Portkey, and were transported out of the maze. This led them to Little Hangleton where they witnessed the Return of the Dark Lord and participated in the Duel in Little Hangleton.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the maze lacks all of the obstacles in the book. Instead, the hedges in the maze would contract and move at random patterns, confusing the four champions, and even attacking them at times. Also, in the film, the maze seems to occupy all the valley next to the Castle, instead of just the Quidditch Pitch.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
|Objects & Locations: Goblet of Fire • Casket • Golden egg • Hedge Maze • Triwizard Cup|
|Schools: Beauxbatons Academy of Magic • Durmstrang Institute • Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry|
|1994-1995 Triwizard Champions: Fleur Delacour • Viktor Krum • Cedric Diggory • Harry Potter|