At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
A Healer is the wizarding world equivalent of a Muggle doctor. They tend to the sick and injured. St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries (which is England's wizarding community's primary hospital) is one such place where a Healer may work.
- "Witches and wizards in lime-green robes were walking up and down the rows, asking questions and making notes on clipboards like Umbridge’s. Harry noticed the emblem embroidered on their chests: a wand and bone, crossed."
- —Description of the Healers that work at St Mungo's[src]
Healers and Mediwizards are the wizarding world equivalent of Muggle doctors and nurses.
St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries is one of the most well known places where Healers work. It was created by Healer Mungo Bonham in the 17th century. They treat magical diseases such as Dragon Pox, spattergroit, and vanishing sickness and injuries. Healers at St Mungo's wear lime green robes with the sign of a bone and a wand.
However, Healers can work in a variety of places. At Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, there is a hospital wing run by the matron. Madam Poppy Pomfrey was the matron from 1971 until at least 2014. Healers at Hogwarts tend to the sick and wounded from the school but transfer anyone they do not have the resources to treat, to St Mungo's.
Healers also attend Quidditch games as well.
Healing magic is a branch of magic used by Healers and Mediwizards to treat the sick or wounded.
There are many different types of spells in this branch of magic, that have a variety of effects. There are also a vast group of potions that are dedicated to healing as well. Magical medication is also implemented and is normally related to healing potions, but things such as chocolate are also a type of medication. There are some described below:
|Skele-Gro||Causes vanished or otherwise lost bones to regrow in a notably slow and painful process|
|Pepperup Potion||Cures the common cold|
|Blood-Replenishing Potion||Tops up the blood levels of the drinker after blood loss from injury or otherwise|
|Wiggenweld Potion||Power to awaken a person from a magically-induced sleep|
To become a Healer, one must have excellent academic credentials. In Britain they need at least five N.E.W.T.s, with a high mark of either 'Outstanding' or 'Exceeds Expectations' at: Potions, Transfiguration, Herbology, Charms, and Defence Against the Dark Arts.
- Dilys Derwent
- Rutherford Poke
- H. Pollingtonious
- Augustus Pye
- Urquhart Rackharrow
- Hippocrates Smethwyck
- Helbert Spleen
- Six unidentified Healers
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First identified as Healer)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears as statue) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site
- Daily Prophet Newsletters
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
|St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries|
|Founder Mungo Bonham|
|St Mungo's Admissions Department · Poisoning Department · Janus Thickey Ward · Purge and Dowse, Ltd|
|Positions||Healer · Mediwizard · Trainee Healer · Welcome Witch · Entrance dummy|
|Healers||Omar Abasi · Dilys Derwent · Lancelot · Rutherford Poke · Augustus Pye · Hippocrates Smethwyck · Helbert Spleen · Miriam Strout|
|Katie Bell · Herbert Chorley · John Dawlish · Gordon Horton · Minerva McGonagall · Montgomery · Laura Thorn · Nymphadora Tonks · Arthur Weasley · Grubby-looking St Mungo's patient · Bitten St Mungo's patient · Winged St Mungo's patient · Unidentified St Mungo's patient · Unidentified werewolf|
|Long-term residents||Agnes · Alice Longbottom · Frank Longbottom · Gilderoy Lockhart · Broderick Bode (deceased)|