On 1 August, 1997, Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters took over the Ministry of Magic. Minister for Magic Rufus Scrimgeour was tortured and then killed, the Imperius Cursed Pius Thicknesse was installed as a puppet in his place, and the Death Eaters began a campaign against their enemies, notably Muggle-borns. They were ordered to register with the Muggle-Born Registration Commission, which convicted them of stealing magic from "real" wizards and witches (pure-bloods) and imprisoned them in Azkaban, though the entire trial was unfair and Muggle-borns were punished whether the evidence proved them guilty or not. Some were threatened with the Dementor's Kiss, some were imprisoned, and some were stripped of their wands and jobs, and reduced to being street beggars. Those who refused to register, such as Ted Tonks, were pursued by Snatchers, sometimes fatally.
- The head of the Commission conducted the trials and directed the efforts to round up Muggle-borns, which was performed by Snatchers.
- Oversaw the creation of pamphlets and similar propaganda to alert the magical community to the dangers of Muggle-borns. One such pamphlet showed a rose with a frown on its face, representing pure-bloods and a weed choking the flower, representing the Muggle-borns. The title of this particular pamphlet was Mudbloods and the Dangers They Pose to a Peaceful Pure-Blood Society.
- Muggle-Born Registration Commission
- Dolores Umbridge
- Mudbloods and the Dangers They Pose to a Peaceful Pure-Blood Society
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
Notes and references
|Minister for Magic: |
|Advisor to the Minister for Magic |
|Senior Undersecretary to the Minister for Magic: |
|Junior Assistant to the Minister for Magic: |
|Head of the Muggle-Born Registration Commission |
(1997 to 1998 only)