A Head Boy or Head Girl is a seventh year student who has authority over Prefects at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Each year, both a Head Boy and a Head Girl are selected by the current Headmaster of Hogwarts. The pair of students are instructed to do duties to assist the school. They lead both the prefects and, in many cases, the entire student body.
At the beginning of the school year, the Headmaster appoints new prefects, as well as one Head Boy and one Head Girl from all of the seventh year students. These students are chosen because of their academic achievement, outstanding reputation as a student, and an honest, good, and hard-working personality. It should be noted that being a prefect is not a prerequisite to being appointed a Head Boy or Head Girl.
One of the duties known of the Head Boy and Head Girl is to instruct the Prefects of their duties on the Hogwarts Express in the Prefects' carriage. On the train, the Head Boy and Girl can be seen telling the prefects when they will need to patrol the train.
Head Boys and Girls also have special responsibilities whenever required. In 1993, when Sirius Black had broken into Hogwarts, Dumbledore asked the Head Boy and Head Girl to watch over the students in the Great Hall while he and the rest of the staff searched for Black in the castle.
Other duties of the Head Boy and Head Girl are unknown.
The trophy room contains a list of Head Boys and Head Girls. The Head Boy and Head Girl are in charge of the Prefects and should be an example to the other students. Head Boys and Girls also have the special privilege of being able to use the Prefects' bathroom in the case that they are not Prefects.
Known Head Boys and Girls
- Albus Dumbledore (1898-99)
- Tom Riddle (1944-45)
- Minerva McGonagall (1953-54)
- James Potter (1977-78)
- Lily Evans (1977-78)
- Bill Weasley (1988-89)
- Percy Weasley (1993-94)
- Penelope Clearwater (1993-94)
- When Hermione Granger should've been in her seventh year at Hogwarts she was searching for Lord Voldemort's Horcruxes and was unable to attend the start of the school year. Had she attended and had Hogwarts been under the authority of Albus Dumbledore it is more than likely she would've been chosen as Head Girl due to her impressive work ethic, uncommon intelligence and polite and respectful demener.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned in book)