- "A little owl with a slightly flattened, hawk-like head peered down at them from one of the branches."
- —Description of owl[src]
A hawk is a huge kind of bird related to the eagle, which likes to build its nest in the heights. It is unknown whether hawks have magical properties, or whether there are magical varieties of hawks. A tarantula hawk is a kind of wasp that hunts tarantulas. An infestation of these could be found on the grounds of Hogwarts Castle in the 1992–1993 school year. The Hawkshead Attacking Formation, a Quidditch tactic invented by Darren O'Hare in which the team's Chasers fly together in an arrowhead towards the opposition goalposts, is named after the hawk. A hawk-like owl were seen circling around the Lovegood house in 1997 and may have been used by Xenophilius Lovegood to send a message to the Death Eaters that Harry Potter was in his house.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Though the actual creature does not appear within the series, many references were made.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Possible mention)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game (Mentioned only)