A Hatstall was an archaic term for a student of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry whose sorting took more than five minutes, because the Sorting Hat found them to have a personality equally suited to different Hogwarts Houses. The Sorting Hat sometimes took the student's personal preference into consideration in order to break such a tie.
True Hatstalls were rare, occurring around once every fifty years, but near Hatstalls may have been more common.
- Filius Flitwick — The Sorting Hat wavered between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw before choosing the latter.
- Minerva McGonagall — The Sorting Hat spent five-and-a-half minutes wavering between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw before deciding to place her in the former.
Known near Hatstalls
- Hermione Granger — The Sorting Hat spent nearly four minutes trying to decide between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, and "seriously considered" Ravenclaw, but ultimately went with Gryffindor.
- Harry Potter — The Sorting Hat found he could do well in either Gryffindor or Slytherin, but because he was averse to Slytherin's negative reputation, it ultimately chose Gryffindor.
- Neville Longbottom — The Sorting Hat was determined to place him in Gryffindor, but because Neville found Gryffindor's reputation for bravery intimidating, he asked to be put in Hufflepuff. The two argued silently for "a long time" before the Hat finally got its way and declared him a Gryffindor.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (First identified as Hatstall)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Pottermore (screenshot available here)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Pottermore: An Inside Scoop" from FictionRow.com
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 7
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Pottermore biography of Minerva McGonagall (transcription available here)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 19