184.108.40.206, I just gave him his first warning, but in looking back at his edits, aside from the multiple bad edits they made today, there were also bad/fanon/vanalism edits done on Dec 25 that were reverted but he was never warned on his talk page for. --BachLynn(Accio!) 16:48, January 3, 2011 (UTC)
220.127.116.11 has vandalized multiple pages by replacing the content with "just hacked" in a short time. He's vandalized Pansy Parkinson, Narcissa Malfoy, and Millicent Bulstrode. Thanks. -Shorty1982 23:00, August 30, 2011 (UTC)
- Blocked for six months. -- 00:28, August 31, 2011 (UTC)
- Thank you, Nick O'Demus and Cavalier One, for taking care of this guy. -Shorty1982 22:14, September 7, 2011 (UTC)
Daniel Bryan is still vandalizing pages, even after multiple warnings to stop. Five out of six of her edits are vandalism plus it looks from the warnings like she's created at least one article that got deleted. -Shorty1982 15:54, September 13, 2011 (UTC)
- Blocked for one week. -- 19:26, September 13, 2011 (UTC)
Kmanwing - Wikia
Kmanwing is continuing to add videos of full and partial scenes from the films, which if I'm reading the Image Policy correctly is not allowed (From that policy: "Videos not allowed include partial or full scenes from released films..."). He claims he is part of some "entertainment team" and was instructed by "the company" to post those videos. I would appreciate an administrator's ruling on this, please. Thank you, Shorty1982 23:59, September 22, 2011 (UTC)
- I'm merely trying to do as I was told by the team. These videos are fully licensed to wikia and would be spectacular additions to the pages. [[User:Kmanwing]] 00:32, September 23, 2011 (UTC)
- For what it's worth, the video in question, along with a number of other videos, are hosted at http://video.wikia.com which would seem to suggest that they are indeed officially licensed videos. Of course, how the policy applies, I'm not sure, though I would guess it was probably put in place as a deterrent against people adding illegal video clips, not ones that have been officially licesned by Wikia. Still, I'm not an admin, so I can't make the final ruling - I'm just posting information here that I think might be relevant. http://video.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Videos - 18.104.22.168 01:57, September 23, 2011 (UTC)
- Kmanwing, I've asked for clarification from Wikia as to your status with the Entertainment Team since I can find no independent page verifying it. If you could point me to to something that proves it, then I would be grateful. As I'm sure you can appreciate, any user could claim to be part of an official Wikia team, so I've asked for verification. In the past, I have discussed these videos via email with a duly identified member of the staff and part of the discussion was that rights issues were tricky and that the Wikia video player was still not officially launched. I have heard nothing since then. Also, we were told that the admins and community would have final say on which videos would be added, and where, not a member of the Entertainment Team. Until verification is made, please refrain from posting videos in our articles. Thank you.
- Shorty1982, while your reading of our policy is entirely correct (oh, how I wish more users would read it and adhere to it :P), it's based solely on the notion that video material could breach copyright laws and so to avoid any possible repercussions we limited what video material we had. If however, Wikia has legally obtained the rights to the clips, then using them in articles is not a problem. This doesn't mean the wiki will open a carte blanche ruling on allowing any video content, however, just what is legally permissible, and what suits the articles. Videos will not be rammed into articles just for the sake of it. - Cavalier One(Wizarding Wireless Network) 08:12, September 23, 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Everyone, We've asked Sena to review this thread - but she is out til Monday. She will stop by here as soon as she can. Thanks, Sarah (help forum | blog) 17:14, September 23, 2011 (UTC)
- I'm sorry, this was all a huge missunderstanding and I'm sorry for the part I played in it. I'm just trying to share these amazing videos and if you dont want certain ones up I can and will respect that. Just to be clear: exactly what videos am I allowed to post? [[User:Kmanwing]] 23:59, September 24, 2011 (UTC)
- Hello everyone, sorry for all the confusion, and let me see if I can try and explain what we were attempting. Wikia was given legally licensed video content, and we wanted to get it out to the fans. This is a normal function of the Content Team (which encompasses Entertainment, Gaming, Lifestyles etc.). We wanted to make sure that we were adding videos that were allowed by the community, and were doing it in a way that would add value to the already amazing content you have on the wiki. To that end, I worked with Kmanwing, a wiki editor on many wikis and someone I've worked with and met with in person and trusted because I know how big a HP fan he is. I had him post a blog to get the word out find it here, and we followed the rules of video for the wiki. When a note was left saying that some of the videos were not within the rules (we got over zealous and assumed that the rule about scenes from the movie was meant to cover illegal video, not legally licensed material), Kmanwing stopped posting, and left notes with the user who had taken down the offending material, as well as a recently active admin, to check on the ruling to be sure we were complying with the wishes of the community. Find those notes here and here.
- As to the point about the community having the final say about videos that go live, of course this is true, as is it true with every edit made to a wiki by a user, Kmanwing was simply exercising his right to edit wikis, he was doing it at my request and with my support, because as you say, the video player is not fully launched, however with all this amazing video content, we wanted to get the word out to the community, and show them some of the cool stuff we'd been given. Of course we want to follow the rules listed by the community, which is why we had stopped and asked for some direction/clarification, and I'm glad this is being talked about. We're happy to comply with whatever rules you all have regarding video content, and were trying to be very cautious about where videos were placed, so that they would relate exactly to the content of the article, and would add value for all of the HP fans. I would love for fans of HP to be able to add video to the wiki when and where it's appropriate, and of course anyone here is welcome to check out the videos here and add any they feel are worth having on the wiki.
- Here are what I feel are the next steps, but please let me know what you think.
- 1: Kmanwing and any other user who want to add videos that comply with the current rules are welcome to do so, but as always, the community here can take down any they feel break the rules, or don't add value (though if that is the case, maybe it would be an alternate idea to have a video page where folks could post videos that follow the rules, and have them housed in one central location?).
- 2: The community here will decide what to do about licensed video content of scenes and partial scenes moving forward, and we will respect that decision (honestly we didn't mean to break any rules this time around, we just got excited and once we realized we had, we tried to reach out and get clarification)
- Hope that helps to clear up any confusion that was created on our end, and I hope you guys do check out the videos and find some that are of use to you. Let me know if I can be of any further help. Sena 17:05, September 26, 2011 (UTC)
- Xean, thanks for clearing some stuff up. You are correct in that the current video policy is designed to stop any potential copyright violation that posting full or partial scenes could imply. Any legally licensed videos would not breach this policy and would be welcomed. My position is this; the original discussions I had with Adam (who I have been informed no longer works for Wikia) was that there was still some licensing issues to sort out, and that the Wikia player was not yet ready for launch. Our discussions were via email, and, in truth, I expected a continuation of this conversation by that medium until it was decided to implement this on the Wiki. Also, I was assured that the administrators and the community would have the final say over the addition and placement of such videos. While I do not doubt Kmanwing's ability or enthusiasm, it struck me as strange for a user to appear and begin placing videos without community discussion or email contact which led me to Special:Contact. If the videos are licensed and the player is working properly, then videos can be added after a community discussion of what kind of content to place within our articles. Videos will not be shoehorned in if they do not fit, and they will complement the article in question. Personally, I find that the best videos in the list are the featurettes and behind the scenes stuff. - Cavalier One(Wizarding Wireless Network) 17:35, September 26, 2011 (UTC)
- P.S.: I've now reverted all of the edits that were made that hadn't already been taken care of. As for the pages that were created, I don't really see the point in adding delete tags to anymore of them. Whichever administrator gets to this first can just check the edit history and then delete the pages. ProfessorTofty 18:48, October 1, 2011 (UTC)
- Blocked for two weeks. -- 15:58, October 3, 2011 (UTC)
Hgsanti keeps adding infoboxes and things to Eragon10oo userpage. I've warned him a few times that doing this is not permitted in the edit summary when undoing his edits and on his talk page but he continues to mess with this other user's page. Thanks. -Shorty1982 02:05, November 13, 2011 (UTC)
- Blocked for two weeks. -- 23:55, November 19, 2011 (UTC)
- Banned. -- 14:26, November 20, 2011 (UTC)
I think we might want to consider semiprotection for this page. It seems to be a target of increased vandalism recently. ProfessorTofty 03:59, December 3, 2011 (UTC)