Please add new incident reports at the BOTTOM of this page. Don't forget to sign your post with "~~~~", which translates into a signature and a time stamp automagically.
- Given a warning for now, but will take further action as needed. Thanks for shedding light on it (lots of editing happening over the holiday break it seems). Cheers --Ironyak1 (talk) 04:15, January 4, 2018 (UTC)
Poppy (Bowtruckle) -> Poppy
Could an admin please do this move? I can't because there's already a "Poppy" page, but it just redirects to "Poppy Pomfrey" and there are no links to it other than from "Poppy (Bowtruckle)" and "Candidates for renaming", so there's no need for the disambiguation. — evilquoll (talk) 08:48, January 15, 2018 (UTC)
Perhaps this is a case of ignorance rather than malice, but this user just doesn't seem to get what being a wiki editor is all about. Has twice created a blog post in the main article space (one has been moved to their user space); has created two blog posts, neither of which is about improving the wiki; has uploaded a picture, which not only is nothing to do with the Potterverse but is also not on any other topic I can discern (except perhaps "how not to take a picture"); and, worst of all, has removed the delete notice from the one article remaining in the main space. Needs a good talking-to at the very least — evilquoll (talk) 23:28, January 18, 2018 (UTC)
The user has continued to vandalise Newt Scamander's page even when warned, and then vandalised two other pages. They only appear to have made an account to remove information from the pages and will need to be banned if they will not stop. - Kates39 (talk) 12:32, January 26, 2018 (UTC)
- This is a vandalism-only account active across multiple wikis. As such, it's a VSTF matter. — evilquoll (talk) 13:38, January 26, 2018 (UTC)
Huge flood of videos, especially File:Harry Potter and The Goblet Of Fire (2005) Official Opening Scene in 3D HD - DVD QUALITY
I have several concerns about these.
- The fact that there are so many of them — over 50. Are we really going to use each and every one? If not, what is the point of our having them?
- The one mentioned in the title of this thread is badly misnamed; it's not 3D, it's not HD (1920x1080) and it's not even DVD quality (1024x576). It is in fact just 480x269; not even VGA quality.
- The maker of these videos (and of the fake "Cursed Child movie trailers" which I flagged for deletion) is labouring under the delusion that all he has to do is use the magic words "Copyright Act 1976", "fair use" and "entertainment purposes only", and he is thereby entitled to steal any and all clips he fancies. This to my mind is nonsense:
- As far as I am aware, the latest UK Copyright Act, and thus the one applicable to this and to any other UK copyright case, is the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 — unless of course a more recent one has been enacted.
- I doubt that "entertainment purposes" is sufficient to establish "fair use".
- In any case, how much use is "fair" is dependent upon extent as well as upon purpose. A five-second clip might be fair use; a ten-second clip is probably pushing it; a clip of over four minutes is almost certainly not "fair use" by any reasonable definition.
I think the maker of these videos is going to get a nasty shock one day, once Warner Bros. find his YouTube channel. In the meantime, I think we should isolate ourselves from what I see as blatant piracy. — evilquoll (talk) 21:30, February 14, 2018 (UTC)
- I agree. I haven't personally been paying much attention to this (and am at fault for that), but now that I've skimmed through the Videos category it appears to be filled with either unnecessary videos, or movie clips that fly in the face of "fair use" (by either not actually being currently used in a constructive manner, just in video galleries and the like, or by being unreasonably big). -- 21:59, February 14, 2018 (UTC)
Has re-uploaded the image File:Unknownhh.jpg, despite the fact that it was deleted for several reasons (memetic, fanon, possibly others) and re-added it to the Hermione Granger article in defiance of the warning notice in the text, and indeed removing the notice in the process. It looks to me that this is another user who cares more about her fanon than the Harry Potter universe. — evilquoll (talk) 19:23, March 1, 2018 (UTC)