This sock that once belonged to Harry Potter was given to the house-elf Dobby by Lucius Malfoy (his master). Harry tricked Lucius Malfoy by presenting him with Tom Riddle's Diary, with the sock inside. When Lucius Malfoy took the diary from Harry, he handed it to Dobby. Harry then told Dobby to open the book, which he did - and he discovered the sock, which had been unwittingly given to him by Lucius Malfoy. This meant that Dobby was free. Dobby kept that sock on until the day he died.
Another sock of Harry's was used to hold his Sneakoscope and also later given to Dobby.
Behind the scenes
- The way in which Harry tricks Lucius Malfoy into freeing Dobby differs from the book and film. In the book, Harry put Tom Riddle's Diary inside the sock and Malfoy merely attempts to attack him before Dobby knocks him backward. In the film, however, Harry places the sock inside the diary and Malfoy attempts to kill him before Dobby knocks him backward.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
(It can be assumed that the sock has appeared in every book Dobby appeared in, as Dobby said he always wore it.)