- Lucius Malfoy: "Come, Dobby. I said, come!"
- Dobby: "Master has given a sock. Master gave it to Dobby."
- Lucius Malfoy: "What's that? What did you say?"
- Dobby: "Dobby has got a sock. Master threw it, and Dobby caught it, and Dobby — Dobby is free."
- Lucius Malfoy: "You've lost me my servant, boy!"
- — Harry Potter frees Dobby[src]
This sock that once belonged to Harry Potter was given to the house-elf Dobby by Lucius Malfoy (his master). Harry tricked Lucius Malfoy by presenting him with Tom Riddle's Diary, shoved inside this sock. When Lucius Malfoy took the diary out of the sock, he threw the useless piece of clothing and Dobby caught it, making him free. Dobby kept that sock on until the day he died.
Another sock of Harry's was used to hold his Sneakoscope and also later given to Dobby.
Behind the scenes
- The way in which Harry tricks Lucius Malfoy into freeing Dobby differs between the book and the film. In the book, Harry put Tom Riddle's Diary inside the sock and Malfoy merely attempts to attack him before Dobby knocks him backward. In the film, however, Harry places the sock inside the diary and Malfoy attempts to kill him before Dobby knocks him backward.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
(It can be assumed that the sock has appeared in every book Dobby appeared in, as Dobby said he always wore it.)