Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In 1993 Harry Potter received a Firebolt racing broom as a Christmas present from an anonymous benefactor (who turned out to be Sirius Black, his godfather) following the destruction of his Nimbus 2000 in a Quidditch match against Hufflepuff. He used this broom in every Quidditch match he played in since, and also used it during the first task of the Triwizard Tournament. In 1997 Harry lost this broom during the Battle of the Seven Potters.
- "And then he heard it, speeding through the air behind him; he turned and saw his Firebolt hurtling towards him around the edge of the woods, soaring into the enclosure, and stopping dead in mid-air beside him, waiting for him to mount."
- —The Firebolt, under influence of this spell[src]
Correctly suspecting that Sirius Black sent it, Hermione Granger reported it to Professor McGonagall, who confiscated it for testing. After being thoroughly tested, the broom was given back to Harry since they found no jinxes on it. Sirius later admitted to having sent the broom to Harry, calling it "thirteen birthdays' worth of presents from your godfather."
Harry made good use of the broom throughout the rest of his time at Hogwarts, riding it during every Quidditch match he played. He also used the broom to get past a Hungarian Horntail during the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament in 1994. Though the Firebolt was confiscated for several months during the 1995–1996 school year by Dolores Umbridge after she gave Harry a lifetime ban from Quidditch, he regained it after she left the school.
The broom was lost on 27 July, 1997, during the Battle of the Seven Potters when Sirius Black's motorbike, which Harry and Rubeus Hagrid were flying in, flipped upside-down to avoid the pursuing Death Eaters. Harry was able to hold onto his rucksack and Hedwig's cage, but the broom plummeted to the Earth. It is unknown if Harry ever went to recover the Firebolt, or even if it survived the fall.
Behind the scenes
- According to the books, Harry's Firebolt is described to have a 'perfectly smooth, streamlined birch twigs that made up the tail'. However, in the movies, it is more ragged and looks a bit more aged. Additionally, in the film the broomstick does not arrive until very near the story's end after Black's escape, whereas in the books it was a Christmas present.
- In the handheld versions of LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, Harry's Firebolt is incorrectly identified as a Nimbus 2000 during his use of it in the First Task.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault