It is requested that this article, or a section of this article, be expanded. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by expanding this article to give more complete coverage of its subject.
- Ollivander: "Good wand, that one. But I suppose they snapped it in half when you got expelled?"
- Rubeus Hagrid: "Er — yes, they did, yes. I've still got the pieces, though."
- Ollivander: "But you don't use them?"
- Rubeus Hagrid: "Oh, no, sir."
- — Garrick Ollivander on Rubeus Hagrid's wand, inside his umbrella.[src]
During his third year at Hogwarts, Hagrid was falsely accused by Tom Riddle to have released a creature on the school that killed a muggle-born witch named Myrtle Warren. As a result of this, his wand was destroyed by the Ministry of Magic. Although it was destroyed, Dumbledore allowed him to secretly keep the shards of his wand in the shaft of a pink umbrella, the shards still possessing a good portion of the wand's original power. However, since he never graduated, Hagrid's magic was never flawless; so even though he was able to use the pink umbrella as a wand substitute, he did not have the skill required for complex feats of magic. This caused him to rarely perform the spells that he wanted to.
Examples of unsuccessful magic
- In 1991, Hagrid lost his temper after Vernon Dursley insulted Albus Dumbledore, and tried to transfigure Dudley Dursley into a pig in retaliation, but instead just gave him a pig's tail sticking out of his backside. Hagrid later regretted his loss of temper, but then implied that he couldn't turn Dudley into a pig because he was already much like one, the tail being the last pig-like part of him.
- In 1997, during the Battle of the Seven Potters, Hagrid tried to save Harry from falling to his death by repairing the sidecar of Sirius Black's motorcycle, but instead destroyed it completely and made it fall away from the motorcycle. Harry, in sheer desperation, levitated the sidecar to stop it falling.
Examples of successful magic
- In 1991, Hagrid made fire in the fireplace at Hut-on-the-Rock.
- In 1991, Hagrid made the row boat that him and Harry Potter were using to get back to the mainland go faster by tapping it twice on the side.
- In 1991 and 1996, Hagrid used his umbrella to gain access to Diagon Alley.
- In 1992, Hagrid insinuated to Harry that he had used magic to enlarge the pumpkins to the size of boulders.
- In 1997, Hagrid successfully cast the Aguamenti Charm, after Harry reminded him what the incantation was, and together with Harry's help, they extinguished the fire that was consuming his hut.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS1 version)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned indirectly)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- LEGO Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault