Captain of the Holyhead Harpies
She was one of Horace Slughorn's all-time favourite students, making her a member of his "Slug Club" while she was attending Hogwarts (c. 1979-1986). She gives him free tickets whenever he wants. According to her "Wizard of the Month" card which appeared on J.K. Rowling's website, she was born in 1968, which would make her one of Slughorn's last students before he retired in the 1980s. Her Wizard cards have depicted her as dark-skinned. Ginny Weasley is a fan of Gwenog, as she has a poster of her on the wall of her room at the Burrow. Ginny would go on to play for the Holyhead Harpies as well a few years later, although it is unknown if Gwenog was still on the team at that time.
Jones is described as being a tall dark skinned witch. Due to the fact she was a beater it can be presumed that she is fairly burly or at least has a 'beater's build'.
Personality and traits
Jones has said on a number of occasions that witches make better Quidditch players than wizards, and no one is likely to disagree with her. This is because "people who disagree with [Jones] have a nasty habit of turning into woodlice." After a game she enjoys relaxing with friends, drinking butterbeer, and listening to The Weird Sisters. Hermione Granger considered Gwenog to be "a bit full of herself" after meeting her at one of Slughorn's "Slug Club" meetings in 1996.
Behind the Scenes
- Gwenog may be related to Hestia Jones, a member of the Order of the Phoenix, Peter Jones, a Gryffindor student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, or Megan Jones, a Hufflepuff student at Hogwarts in Harry Potter's year.
- The illustration on Gwenog's Wizard of the Month profile shows her to have black skin and purple quidditch robes. However, in the signed photo of Gwenog owned by Horace Slughorn she has white skin and is wearing yellow quidditch robes.
- It is possible, as a former Slug Club member, that she attended the christmas party in 1996.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Appears in photograph) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Appears in photograph)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Wizard of the Month