In the 18th Century, soon after Dorcus Twelvetrees revealed the secret adresses of Ilvermorny and the MACUSA Headquarters to a scourer descendant; Bartholomew Barebone and a band of gun wielding friends plotted to kill all wizards and witches living in the area. Bartholomew planted himself outside of a building and opened fire when a group of people he assumed to be MACUSA employees exited. However, the people were in fact No-Majs unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. None of them were killed. Bartholomew was arrested by No-Maj authorities and imprisoned for his crime.
In 1991, Vernon Dursley bought a rifle to protect his family during their stay at the Hut-on-the-Rock, but when the half-giant Rubeus Hagrid visited them on the island unexpectedly, he easily destroyed the rifle by bending it into a knot.
When Sirius Black pulled out his wand in an attempt to kill Peter Pettigrew for his treason, the Muggle witnesses thought he brought out a gun. Later, after his escape from Azkaban, Muggle news reports stated that he was carrying a gun. Arthur Weasley also had a report on firearms, assigned to him by the Auror Office during the hunt for Black, that was a month overdue; Kingsley Shacklebolt apparently misread the word as "fireleg".
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Vernon comes downstairs with a double-barrelled shotgun, rather than a rifle. Hagrid bends the barrels of the shotgun upwards, causing Vernon to discharge it into the ceiling.
- Despite modern wizard-kind not familiar with firearms, back in the past they did, with Rancorous even making use of a blunderbuss.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned in song)