- "Our dormitories are reached by climbing the winding mahogany staircase, decorated with crimson and gold."
- —Description of the dorms[src]
In Albus Dumbledore's fourth year at Hogwarts, he set fire to the curtains in this dormitory: whether this was accidental or intentional is uncertain. He claimed it was accidental, though he also stated that he hated them, so this statement is questionable.
It can be assumed that during this time frame the Marauders: James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew shared the boys dormitory, as they were all in the same year at Hogwarts. As second years, James, Sirius, and Peter figured out that Remus was a werewolf, by his monthly disappearances from the dorm. These disappearances were always on the night of a full moon.
At the start of the first term in 1992, after Harry and Ron crashed their flying car, they were greeted with applause from the other three boys upon entering the dormitory. Later in the year, Ginny Weasley broke in to steal back Tom Riddle's diary, which she saw had fallen into Harry's possession after she threw it at a ghost in the bathroom. She ransacked Harry's bed, leaving it in a ruined state once she found the diary and heard Neville coming up the stairs, which forced Ginny to flee before she was caught.
At the start of term 1993, Harry and Ron joined the other three boys in a game which they would eat presumably bewitched sweets and they would each make different animal noises. Later in the year, Sirius Black broke in to search for Peter Pettigrew, who was disguised as a rat whom Ron kept as a pet named Scabbers. He slashed open Ron's curtains, awakening him and causing him to scream, which forced Black to flee before he was caught. Peeves, the poltergeist, also entered this year in order to annoy Harry before a Quidditch practise.
This year would be a rather tense one, as Harry had been chosen as a champion in the Triwizard Tournament: whilst Neville, Dean and Seamus were mostly supportive of him, Ron would not speak to him until after the first task was finished.
Like the last, this school year would also be quite stressed, although this time it was Seamus who was fighting with Harry while Ron and Neville supported the latter. Dean kept neutral in this incident as while he believed Harry, he also did not want to jeopardise his friendship with Seamus. This year, Harry and the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, were being slandered by the Daily Prophet, a wizarding newspaper, for spreading the news that Voldemort had returned.
This was the final year all five boys would share the dormitory together: thereafter, Harry and Ron would be searching for Horcruxes, Dean would be a fugitive, while Seamus and Neville would spend only part of the next year here before moving to the Room of Requirement to hide from their teachers.
Behind the scenes
- Although boys cannot enter the girls' dormitory, the opposite doesn't hold true: girls such as Hermione Granger have access to this room.
- In Pottermore, a wooden sign outside the dormitory says "First Years" before one enters it: this is during their first year. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets says ...[they] reached the door of their old dormitory..., meaning that the students keep their dormitories their seven years. This could mean either that the sign is magically able to change, or that the sign is changed every year.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
Notes and references