Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- " [A being is] any creature that has sufficient intelligence to understand the laws of the magical community and to bear part of the responsibility in shaping those laws."
- —Grogan Stump.[src]
Minister Grogan Stump (1770-1884) was Minister for Magic from 1811 to 1819 and was very popular in the job. His legacy includes the creation of the Being, Beast and Spirit Divisions of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, and the establishment of the Department of Magical Games and Sports. He was elected Minister by the Wizarding population in Great Britain and Ireland at least twice.
Stump was born in 1770, somewhere in Great Britain to at least one magical parent. He attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from c. 1781 to 1788, where he was Sorted into Hufflepuff.
As Minister for Magic
In 1811, at age 41, Stump began his duties as a Minister for Magic. Stump particularly addressed the nomenclature of beings and beasts. He decreed that a being was "any creature that has sufficient intelligence to understand the laws of the magical community and to bear part of the responsibility in shaping those laws", and by doing so, he settled a debate that had been going on in the wizarding world since the fourteenth century. Stump created the three divisions of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures: Being, Beast, as well as later Spirit Divisions.
It is likely that during Stump's tenure in office there were ghost demonstrations at the Ministry of Magic (or "protest floats"), which caused Stump to create the aforementioned Spirit Division.
Behind the scenes
- Grogan Stump's likeness, as featured on his Wizard of the Month entry, bears some (presumably coincidental) resemblance to former President of Portugal, Aníbal Cavaco Silva. Interestingly, J. K. Rowling did live there in the early 1990s, at a time when Cavaco Silva was the Prime Minister. Rowling has previously stated that Salazar Slytherin's first name was derived from António de Oliveira Salazar, who served as Prime Minister of Portugal from 1932 to 1968, ruling a fascist dictatorship.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site
- Wizard of the Month
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 According to Pottermore, Nobby Leach (Minister for Magic between 1962 and 1968) was the first Muggle-born wizard ever to be appointed to the office)
- ↑ Wizard of the Month
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Stump's Chocolate Frog Card in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Pottermore introduction for Hufflepuffs (transcription available here)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Sixth question of the Third W.O.M.B.A.T. at J. K. Rowling's Official Site
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Pottermore - Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Ministers for Magic"
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ Of all the possible answers for question 6-2 of the Third W.O.M.B.A.T. this seems to be the more likely: the ghosts were also initially put in the Being category but successfully "asserted" the need for a Spirit Division. The ghost demonstrations seem to fit with them being "assertive".
Alguff the Awful | Amarillo Lestoat | Armando Dippet | Albus Dumbledore | Babayaga | Barberus Bragge | Bertie Bott | Billywig | Blodwyn Bludd | Bowtruckle | Bran the Bloodthirsty | Carlotta Pinkstone | Carmilla Sanguina | Common Welsh Green | Cyclops | Cordelia Misericordia | Double-ended Newt | Doxy | Dzou Yen | Eargit the Ugly | Giant Purple Toad | Giant Squid | Goliath | Gringott | Godric Gryffindor | Gytrash | Hermione Granger | Hebridean Black | Hengist of Upper Barnton | Herbert Varney | Herpo the Foul | Helga Hufflepuff | Harry Potter | Hungarian Horntail | Imp | Kelpie | Leticia Somnolens | Montague Knightley | Malodora Grymm | Manticore | Morholt | Mountain Troll | Norwegian Ridgeback | Old Mother Hubbard | Phillipus von Hohenheim | Phoenix | Roderick Plumpton | Rowena Ravenclaw | Romanian Longhorn | Ronald Weasley | Salazar Slytherin | Streeler | Troll | Ug the Unreliable | Unicorn | Urg the Unclean | Vlad Drakul
|Silver cards: |
Alberic Grunnion | Alberta Toothill | Andros the Invincible | Artemisia Lufkin | Blenheim Stalk | Bowman Wright | Chauncey Oldridge | Circe | Cliodna | Crispin Cronk | Cyprian Youdle | Daisy Dodderidge | Derwent Shimpling | Donaghan Tremlett | Dunbar Oglethorpe | Dymphna Furmage | Elfrida Clagg | Felix Summerbee | Fulbert the Fearful | Gaspard Shingleton | Gideon Crumb | Glenda Chittock | Gondoline Oliphant | Gregory the Smarmy | Gwenog Jones | Honoria Nutcombe | Ignatia Wildsmith | Joscelind Wadcock | Kirley Duke | Laverne de Montmorency | Leopoldina Smethwyck | Maeve | Mirabella Plunkett | Mopsus | Morgan le Fay | Oswald Beamish | Sacharissa Tugwood | Thaddeus Thurkell | Thurkell brothers | Wendelin the Weird | Xavier Rastrick
Adalbert Waffling | Almerick Sawbridge | Archibald Alderton | Balfour Blane | Beatrix Bloxam | Beaumont Marjoribanks | Bridget Wenlock | Burdock Muldoon | Cassandra Vablatsky | Celestina Warbeck | Cornelius Agrippa | Devlin Whitehorn | Dorcas Wellbeloved | Edgar Stroulger | Elladora Ketteridge | Ethelred the Ever-Ready | Flavius Belby | Gifford Ollerton | Glanmore Peakes | Glover Hipworth | Greta Catchlove | Grogan Stump | Gulliver Pokeby | Gunhilda of Gorsemoor | Havelock Sweeting | Hengist of Woodcroft | Heathcote Barbary | Herman Wintringham | Hesper Starkey | Jocunda Sykes | Justus Pilliwickle | Merlin | Merton Graves | Merwyn the Malicious | Miranda Goshawk | Mungo Bonham | Musidora Barkwith | Myron Wagtail | Newton Scamander | Norvel Twonk | Orsino Thruston | Perpetua Fancourt | Quong Po | Roland Kegg | Stoddard Withers | Tilly Toke | Uric the Oddball | Yardley Platt