Madam Professor Griselda Marchbanks, CDMG, APMO, fdBB, (fl. 1899 - 2012) was a witch, who served as Governor of the Wizarding Examinations Authority that ran the O.W.L., N.E.W.T. and W.O.M.B.A.T. examinations from the late 19th century to, at least, the early 21st century. Before resigning in 1995, Madam Marchbanks was one of the Wizengamot elders.
Working for the Ministry of Magic
By the late 1890s, Professor Marchbanks was already working for the Wizarding Examinations Authority in the capacity of examiner. She personally tested Albus Dumbledore in both his Transfiguration and Charms practical Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests. She held Dumbledore in great esteem from then on as he did magic she had never seen the likes of before. At some point in her life, Marchbanks was made a member of the Wizengamot and was, until 1995, one of its oldest members. She was also a friend of Augusta Longbottom, and was very much like her in terms of personality.
1995–1996 school year
Before the year began, Harry Potter (whom the Ministry had actively been trying to discredit along with Dumbledore) was brought before the Wizengamot to stand trial for using the Patronus Charm in the presence of a Muggle; the assembly likely included Madam Marchbanks. When Dumbledore appeared to defend Harry, two witches (possibly Marchbanks and another) waved at him in welcome, and when the verdict was to be given, she likely voted to clear Harry of all charges given her support for Dumbledore.
In the 1995–1996 school year, Dolores Umbridge was appointed High Inquisitor of Hogwarts School by then-Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge. Professor Marchbanks, along with Tiberius Ogden, resigned from the Wizengamot in protest of Umbridge's appointment, declaring to the Daily Prophet that "Hogwarts is a school, not an outpost of Cornelius Fudge's office" and cited it as a "further disgusting attempt to discredit Albus Dumbledore". Subsequently, Marchbanks was accused of having ties to "subversive goblin groups" by the Daily Prophet. By this time, she was somewhat hard of hearing and possibly a bit senile.
Later that school year, Umbridge became Headmistress of Hogwarts. When Marchbanks arrived at the Castle with her colleagues from the W.E.A. to administer the Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations, she showed no signs of respect for Umbridge, expressing scorn at the belief that the Ministry could catch Albus Dumbledore. She examined a variety of students in Harry Potter's year, including Draco Malfoy in his Charms practical, Harry Potter in his Divination practical and all the fifth-years in the Potions and Astronomy practicals; during the latter, she likely witnessed the assault on Rubeus Hagrid and the near-fatal injury of Minerva McGonagall by Umbridge. It is not known whether if she was reinstated in the Wizengamot after the Battle of the Department of Mysteries and subsequent sacking of Umbridge or not.
After the war
Behind the scenes
- Professor Marchbanks is ancient in age, as she examined Albus Dumbledore during his N.E.W.T.s in 1899. J. K. Rowling's W.O.M.B.A.T. claimed she was still working placing her approximate age today at least in her 130s, and possibly even older.
- Along with the other O.W.L. examiners, Professor Marchbanks was omitted from the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. However, Dolores Umbridge is seen supervising the Charms theory exam.
- In an early draft of the fifth film, Professor Marchbanks is male.
The name "Griselda" is possibly derived from the Germanic elements gris "grey" and hild "battle". It is not attested as a Germanic name. This was the name of a patient wife in medieval tales by Boccaccio and Chaucer.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned on the Daily Prophet)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned on the Daily Prophet)
- J.K. Rowling's Official Site (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Limited Edition (Mentioned on the Daily Prophet)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 J.K. Rowling's Official Site
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 15 (The Hogwarts High Inquisitor)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 28 (Snape's Worst Memory)