|Height of average adult||
Less than 5 feet
|Ministry of Magic Classification||
- "A sickly green creature with sharp little horns had its face pressed against the glass, pulling faces and flexing its long, spindly fingers."
Professor Remus Lupin ordered a Grindylow in 1993 for his third year class to study for Defence Against the Dark Arts. After his resignation, he left behind the tank in which the Grindylow was kept.
One year later, the Grindylows of the Black Lake at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry attacked the students competing in the 1994-1995 Triwizard Tournament. They caused the early retirement from the task of Fleur Delacour, and harassed Harry Potter.
Grindylows survive, for the most part, on fish, algae, and small sea creatures; however, occasionally they will eat humans (it is for this reason that they are classified as dark creatures).
The Grindylow is a sickly green colour, with green teeth and small pointy horns on its head. It has long, strong (albeit brittle) fingers which it uses to strangle its prey, and is a rather good swimmer.
The Grindylow has long, brittle fingers which despite their fragility are rather strong. The trick to escaping a Grindylow is to break their grip on a person; it can also be noted that the Revulsion Jinx may help with this task, as underwater it shoots jets of boiling hot water.
Behind the scenes
- The grindylow is a name for a type of water demon said to grab little children from the edge of a body of water and drown them. The term is used in the folktales of Yorkshire and Lancashire.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the grindylow is a small creature with tentacles and two dangling tentacles on its head. In the book, there is no such description. The books also describe Grindylows as sickly green in colour; the movies depict them as beige.
- Originally the grindylow were meant to be more like Angler Fish according to The Creature Vault.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (GBA only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned in interrogation by Lupin)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned in interrogation by Lupin)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter for Kinect
Notes and references