|Ministry of Magic Classification||
The Griffin originated in Greece. It has the front legs, wings and head of a giant eagle, and the body and hind legs, and tail of a lion. The main diet of the Griffin is raw meat. Griffins are often used by wizards as guards, and are known as fierce creatures. However, despite this, skilled Wizards have been able to befriend them. Like Sphinxes, Griffins are used by Wizards who need treasure guarding.
Over the centuries the Griffin - as with other mythological creatures - has taken many shapes. The griffin has served many purposes, including but not limited to "the vigilant guardian of treasure and of kings." They have been called "The Hounds of Zeus".
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ((Identified as "Griffon")
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears as statue)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them