At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Griffin originated in Greece. It has the front legs, wings and head of a giant eagle, and the body, hind legs, and tail of a lion. The main diet of the Griffin is raw meat. Griffins are known as fierce creatures, however, despite this, skilled Wizards have been able to befriend them. Griffins are often used by wizards as guards of treasure, like Sphinxes.
Behind the scenes
- Griffins originate from ancient mythology, having been recorded as far back as ancient Persia and Egypt, though first commonly seen in Greek myths. They were considered symbols of divinity, as the lion and eagle were considered the kings of beasts and birds, respectively.
- In the Harry Potter films, the Stairwell Gargoyle (who guards the Headmaster's Office) resembles a large golden griffin, instead of being ugly and made of stone as in the books.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Identified as "Griffon")
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Appears as statue)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned on a poster)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Appears as statue)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Appears as statue)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Appears as statue)
Notes and references
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|