Greengrass is the surname of a pure-blood wizarding family, and one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. They are related through marriage to the Malfoy family and, more distantly, to the Black and the Lestrange families.
The Greengrasses are known to have espoused the philosophy of Pure-blood supremacy, even though, following the horrors of the Second Wizarding War, Astoria Greengrass abandoned those beliefs in favour of a more tolerant world view and even refused to raise her son to believe that "Muggles [are] scum" even though that created tension with her parents-in-law, Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy.
Recent family members
- Astoria Malfoy (née Greengrass) - wife of Draco Malfoy, mother of Scorpius Malfoy
- Daphne Greengrass - Astoria's older sister, she was in Harry Potter's year and Slytherin house at Hogwarts, and was one of Pansy Parkinson's gang.
- The surname Greengrass seems to simply come from the words green and grass, emphasising Slytherin's house colours. This imagery would be appropriate if the Greengrass family has been traditionally sorted into Slytherin.
Notes and references
- ↑ Astoria Greengrass's son was described as pure-blood by Ron Weasley in the Epilogue of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, indicating that Astoria would have been pure-blood herself.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "Draco Malfoy"
- ↑ Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "Pure-blood"