|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains of a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
- "The Gouging Spell enables a witch or wizard to carve through earth and stone with ease. From budding Herbologists digging for Snargaluff seedlings to treasure-hunting curse breakers uncovering ancient wizard tombs, the Gouging Spell makes all manner of heavy labour a matter of pointing a wand."
- —Miranda Goshawk, Book of Spells[src]
WwwThe Gouging Spell (Defodio) is a charm used to gouge out portions of earth or stone.
It has practical applications, both in digging and in making passageways through solid rock. Careful use of this spell can dig out the required object and leave the environment relatively untouched.
- Harry, Ron, and Hermione used this spell to escape from Gringotts in 1998 on the back of a dragon.
- It is possible that Harry later used the spell to carve the words "Here Lies Dobby, a Free Elf" into Dobby's gravestone earlier that year, though this has not been confirmed.
- It is possible that Newt used this spell during his travels around the world.
Latin defodio, meaning "dig out".