- "The Gouging Spell enables a witch or wizard to carve through earth and stone with ease. From budding Herbologists digging for Snargaluff seedlings to treasure-hunting curse breakers uncovering ancient wizard tombs, the Gouging Spell makes all manner of heavy labour a matter of pointing a wand."
- —Miranda Goshawk, Book of Spells[src]
The Gouging Spell (Defodio) is a charm used to gouge out portions of earth or stone.
It has practical applications, both in digging and in making passageways through solid rock. Careful use of this spell can dig out the required object and leave the environment relatively untouched.
- Used by Harry to break the ice covering the Sword of Griffendor in The Deathly Hallows Part 1
- Harry, Ron, and Hermione used this spell to escape from Gringotts in 1998 on the back of a dragon.
- It is possible that Harry later used the spell to carve the words "Here Lies Dobby, a Free Elf" into Dobby's gravestone earlier that year, though this has not been confirmed.
Latin defodio, meaning "dig out".