|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
Gornuk was a Goblin who worked at Gringotts, but went on the run after Lord Voldemort's Death Eaters took over the Ministry of Magic. He went into hiding after he was expected to work for wizards, and eventually hooked up with a small band of outcasts comprised of fellow Goblin Griphook, and the wizards Ted Tonks, Dirk Cresswell, and Dean Thomas. In 1998, the group was eventually caught by Snatchers led by Fenrir Greyback. Gornuk was killed with Dirk and Ted trying to resist capture.
Life at Gringotts
In 1997, Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters took over the Ministry of Magic. Death Eaters and Voldemort's supporters started to meddle in the Bank, much to the Goblin workers' discontent, who did not want to work for wizards. Gornuk was amongst the rebellion, since he hated the prospect of living a life like a house-elf. Some goblins escaped from the Bank; among them was Gornuk.
Life on the Run
After escaping the Death Eaters, Gornuk met up with Muggle-born wizards Ted Tonks and Dirk Cresswell, and Dean Thomas, who were on the run from the Muggle-Born Registration Commission. He also met fellow escapee from Gringotts, Griphook. At one of their campsites, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley overheard the group talking about everything going on in the open wizarding world.
Gornuk, Griphook, Ted Tonks, Dirk Cresswell and Dean Thomas were eventually caught by a group of Snatchers. They tried to escape, but failed; Gornuk was killed during the struggle, along with Ted and Dirk. Dean Thomas and Griphook were captured by the Snatchers. The death of Gornuk was announced on Potterwatch.
Magical abilities and skills
As most goblins presumably are, Gornuk is a multilingual, fluent in both English and Gobbledegook.
Behind the scenes
- Gornuk is mentioned on the radio in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1; the radio announcer says two of his companions may have escaped capture after Gornuk was killed. The film, however, reports his death far sooner. It says that he died around the time of the murder of Mykew Gregorovitch, not the arrest of Xenophilius Lovegood. Because Gornuk's conversation with his fellow fugitives (book only) happens after Gregorovitch is found by Voldemort, this timing is not canon.
- Gornuk appears in the DS version of LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 despite not appearing in the film.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (DS version)