|Goblet of Fire|
Selecting champions for the Triwizard Tournament
- "The Goblet of Fire! Anyone wishing to submit themselves to the tournament need only write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly! If chosen, there's no turning back. As from this moment, The Triwizard Tournament has begun."
- —Albus Dumbledore[src]
The Goblet of Fire is the "impartial judge" for the Triwizard Tournament who chooses which students will represent their respective schools. After the students have finished placing their name in Goblet, the Goblet then chooses one student from each school by spitting out their name in a rush of red flames. Once chosen, the participants are subject to a binding magical contract in which they can not back out of the tournament.
The Goblet is described as being made of heavy hewn and has blue-white flames up to the edges. When it wasn't in use, it was kept in a jewelled casket.
Though it was an impartial judge, it can be bewitched to make decisions that transgress the rules. Since the goblet is a powerful magical artefact, it would require a powerful Confundus Charm to accomplish. After the champions are selected, it will extinguish itself and will not reignite until the next tournament.
The Goblet of Fire was created at an unknown time and by an unknown person. As many who knew about the Triwizard Tournament were unaware of its use in the competition in 1994, it was presumably not used until that year.
The 1994 Triwizard Tournament
- Angelina Johnson, Gryffindor house, unsuccessful.
- S. Fawcett, Ravenclaw house, underage, unsuccessful.
- Summers, Hufflepuff house, underage, unsuccessful.
- Fred Weasley, Gryffindor house, underage, unsuccessful.
- George Weasley, Gryffindor house, underage, unsuccessful.
- Several Durmstrang students, who were unsuccessful.
- Viktor Krum, Durmstrang Institute, selected as Durmstrang Champion.
- C. Warrington, Slytherin house, unsuccessful.
- Cedric Diggory, Hufflepuff house, selected as Hogwarts Champion.
- Several Beauxbatons students, who were unsuccessful.
- Fleur Delacour, Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, selected as Beauxbatons Champion.
- Barty Crouch Jr. (as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody), entered as Harry Potter, selected as Champion of unspecified fourth school.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
|Objects & Locations: Goblet of Fire • Casket • Golden egg • Hedge Maze • Triwizard Cup|
|Schools: Beauxbatons Academy of Magic • Durmstrang Institute • Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry|
|1994-1995 Triwizard Champions: Fleur Delacour • Viktor Krum • Cedric Diggory • Harry Potter|