- "The Goblet of Fire! Anyone wishing to submit themselves to the tournament need only write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly! If chosen, there's no turning back. As from this moment, The Triwizard Tournament has begun."
- —Albus Dumbledore[src]
The Goblet of Fire is the "impartial judge" for the Triwizard Tournament, who chooses which students will represent their respective schools. After the students have finished placing their name in Goblet, the Goblet then chooses one student from each school by spitting out their name in a rush of red flames. Once chosen, the participants are subject to a binding magical contract in which they can not back out of the tournament.
The Goblet is described as being made of stone and — when active — has blue-white flames up to the edges. When it wasn't in use, it was kept in a jewelled casket.
Though it was an impartial judge, it can be bewitched to make decisions that transgress the rules. Since the goblet is a powerful magical artefact, it would require a powerful Confundus Charm to accomplish. After the champions are selected, it will extinguish itself and will not reignite until the next tournament.
The Goblet of Fire was created at an unknown time and by an unknown person. As many who knew about the Triwizard Tournament were unaware of its use in the competition in 1994, it had either been created rather recently, or so long ago that it was long-forgotten by the time it was unveiled once again in 1994.
The 1994 Triwizard Tournament
Albus Dumbledore drew an Age Line around the Goblet during the 1994 Tournament to prevent students under the age of seventeen from entering their name. However, the Goblet was fooled into thinking there were more than three schools competing by a powerful Confundus Charm cast on it by Barty Crouch Jr, disguised as Alastor Moody.
This resulted in the selection of a fourth Champion, Harry Potter, into the Tournament alongside Cedric Diggory, Fleur Delacour, and Viktor Krum. The flames of the Goblet went out and would not ignite again until the next tournament, much to Igor Karkaroff's frustration, who wanted to reselect champions until each school had two representatives to even things out. It was later revealed that Crouch was working for Lord Voldemort as part of a plan to use Harry's blood to revive the Dark Lord.
- Angelina Johnson, Gryffindor house, unsuccessful.
- S. Fawcett, Ravenclaw house, underage, unsuccessful.
- Summers, Hufflepuff house, underage, unsuccessful.
- Fred Weasley, Gryffindor house, underage, unsuccessful.
- George Weasley, Gryffindor house, underage, unsuccessful.
- Several Durmstrang students, who were unsuccessful.
- Viktor Krum, Durmstrang Institute, selected as Durmstrang Champion.
- C. Warrington, Slytherin house, unsuccessful.
- Cedric Diggory, Hufflepuff house, selected as Hogwarts Champion.
- Several Beauxbatons students, who were unsuccessful.
- Fleur Delacour, Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, selected as Beauxbatons Champion.
- Barty Crouch Jr (as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody), entered as Harry Potter, selected as Champion of unspecified fourth school.
Behind the scenes
- In the films, the Goblet is bigger than in the books and Pottermore.
- The Goblet may possess an unknown degree of sentience, similar to such objects as the Sorting Hat. Beyond its mere ability to sort through applicants, this is further suggested by the fact that the Confundus Charm, whose purpose is to confuse a mind, could be used against it, albeit only by a wizard of great skill.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (mentioned only)
Notes and references
|Objects & Locations: Goblet of Fire • Casket • Golden egg • Hedge Maze • Triwizard Cup|
|Schools: Beauxbatons • Durmstrang • Hogwarts|
|1994-1995 Triwizard Champions: Fleur Delacour • Viktor Krum • Cedric Diggory • Harry Potter|