- "Gnome saliva is enormously beneficial! Luna, my love, if you should feel any burgeoning talent today -- perhaps an urge to sing opera or to declaim in Mermish -- do not repress it! You have been gifted by the Gernumblies!"
- —Xenophilius Lovegood to his daughter during the Wedding of William Weasley and Fleur Delacour[src]
According to Xenophilius Lovegood gnome saliva is enormously beneficial and a gift by the gnomes as he believed that people bitten by them would have the feeling of burgeoning talents such as an urge to sing opera or to declaim in Mermish. He told this to Luna Lovegood in 1997 during the wedding of Bill Weasley and Fleur Delacour at The Burrow, as she was bitten by a gnome. Given the number of "personal veracities" which formed the seeming bedrock of Xenophilius' life, but lacked the mundane evidence others might require, this should, perhaps, be taken with a pinch of salt. Gnomes are prone to bite often.
Behind the scenes
- If it's true, what Xeno says, then in the earlier games the player could choose whether or not Harry Potter should be bitten by the gnomes, and as such be gifted with talents. But these parts were left out, probably because it wasn't important in the storyline.
- "Gnome saliva is very beneficial!"
- —Xenophilius to his daughter[src]
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Mentioned only)