At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
Gnarlak was an American goblin gangster. He ran The Blind Pig, a magical speakeasy located at 124 Macdougal Street in New York in the 1920s, which Newt Scamander visited when he was searching for information.
While looking for Newton Scamander's missing animals, Tina suggested that Gnarlak could be useful in their hunt. Tina, Newt, Jacob Kowalski and Queenie Goldstein met with Gnarlak, whereupon they attempted to bargain for information. Gnarlak indicated that he wasn't interested in gold or trinkets, but when Newt offered an ashwinder egg, his interest was piqued.
However, Gnarlak then spotted Pickett, one of Newt's Bowtruckles, and was greatly interested, as they were reportedly able to pick locks. Newt reluctantly accepted this exchange. However, Gnarlak had already informed MACUSA of Newt's location in an attempt to reap the bounty on his head. MACUSA agents entered the Pig and began arresting everyone in sight.
As he laughed with perceived victory, Jacob punched Gnarlak in the face, noting that he reminded him of Jacob's foreman. As Gnarlak lay unconscious on the floor, Newt retrieved Pickett and apparated away with Jacob, Tina, and Queenie.
Magical abilities and skills
- Gnarlak carried two wands, although his skill in wand-based magic is not known.
- Gnarlak was capable of performing wandless magic.
Behind the scenes
- Gnarlak is portrayed by Ron Perlman in the film inspired by Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site, after the 20 December 2016 redesign, featured an image of a page from an early draft of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay with a deleted scene in which Gnarlak mentions that he was from "the old country", Great Britain, like Newton Scamander, and that his whole family is with Gringotts in the "treasure-and-curse" business.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- LEGO Dimensions
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site (Mentioned on a draft script page)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Watch the final Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them trailer" from Pottermore
- ↑ "Exclusive: Pottermore debuts the main theme from the soundtrack for Fantastic Beasts" from Pottermore
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Ron Perlman talks 'Sons of Anarchy,' 'Fantastic Beasts' at RI Comic Con" from The Telegram
- ↑ The Blind Pig on Google Maps
- ↑ "Everything we've learned about ‘Fantastic Beasts' this week" from Pottermore
- ↑ Youtube - CBS Sunday Morning interview of Eddie Redmayne
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) - Gnarlak's possession of wands may be a result of him being a gangster and operating outside the law, or the laws restricting wand ownership may be different in America than in England.
- ↑ LEGO Dimensions (see this video)
- ↑ J. K. Rowling's Official Site - (see this image)