At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Freezing Spell (Glacius) is a freezing charm that causes air in front of the tip of the wand, to reach cold temperatures in the extreme, which in turn can extinguish fires, create ice blocks from water, and cool off salamanders.
The door of one of the Cursed Vazlts at Hogwarts Castle was enchanted with this spell. In the 1995-1986 school year, when Rowan Khanna nearly entered it, he was attacked and went into a coma.
Professor Remus Lupin taught this spell to his third year class by hiding a spellbook somewhere behind a secret passageway in the classroom and having students find and read it. Later on that year, Professor Filius Flitwick included it in the third year exams for charms class.
This charm has the unfortunate side-effect of making the breath of anyone nearby turn into thick white mist due to the extreme frigidity caused by the spell's casting. An object could be enchanted with this spell to attack a person when touched. An example was one of the cursed Vaults at Hogwarts Castle.
Behind the scenes
- This charm can be bought at Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment in Diagon Alley in 'LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4.
- During the lessons in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 if the player irritates the Professor he/she will cast Glacius at the player and put him/her into a block of ice.
- In the console version, Glacius is an Hermione-exclusive spell, while in the PC version the spell is Harry-exclusive.
- When Harry tried to turn vinegar to wine incorrectly, he turned it into ice instead, possibly casting this spell by accident.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (GBA version only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Nintendo DS only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
|Professors: Filius Flitwick|
|Textbooks: The Standard Book of Spells · Achievements in Charming · Quintessence: A Quest|
|Charmbook writers and charm developers: Miranda Goshawk · Scarpin · Felix Summerbee · Randolph Keitch · Basil Horton · Mnemone Radford · Elliot Smethwyck · Jarleth Hobart · Delfina Crimp · Orabella Nuttley · Levina Monkstanley · Fred Weasley · George Weasley|
|Charms studied at Hogwarts: Levitation Charm · Fire-Making Charm · Softening Charm · Skurge · Aresto Momentum · Cheering Charm · Freezing Spell · Seize and Pull Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Silencing Charm · Mending Charm · Reductor Curse · Colour Change Charm · Growth Charm · Water-Making Spell · Locomotion Charm · Vinegar into Wine · Bird-Conjuring Charm|