- "Pass, friend to Hufflepuff!"
- —Giffard Abbott[src]
Giffard Abbott was a wizard. There are portraits of him hanging in Hogwarts Castle. He had a pet dog and seemed to have access to a source of food, because Damara Dodderidge frequently asked him if he had any to give her.
Gifford Abbott was part of the Abbott family, which was one of the pure-blood families listed in the Sacred Twenty-Eight directory in the 1930s. However, Giffard's actual blood-status was unknown and may have been a half-blood individual within the pure-blood family, like some Malfoys, or a muggle-born wizard born into the family after the 1930s.
1992-1993 school year
In early 1993, Giffard had a portrait at the Grand Staircase, hung immediately below the first-floor landing. As it was placed in an inaccessible place, it is unlikely he guarded any shortcut to another part of the school.
One of his portraits was hanging at the Grand Staircase, guarding the shortcut to the Transfiguration Courtyard, under the password "Dragon's Egg". There was another set of portraits of him, hiding another hidden passageway between the Clock Tower and the corridor outside the Library; the password needed to gain access to this shortcut was "Tempus neminem manet".
Giffard's portrait was moved to another landing of the Grand Staircase, during the next school year. However, he still guarded a secret passage to the same place in the Transfiguration Courtyard. Its password became "Light Against Darkness". He had a penchant for sighing wistfully, "Oh, to be young again!", when approached.
Behind the scenes
- Giffard died prior to early 1993, as the portraits hung at Hogwarts depict deceased individuals. His clothes indicate that he most likely lived during the Middle Ages.
- It is possible that Abbott's portrait is a reference to a portrait of Emperor Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire by Titian.
- "Giffard" is from an English surname, which was derived from the Germanic given name "Gebhard".
- "Abbott" is a Middle English surname.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears in portrait(s)) (First identified as Giffard Abbott)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter for Kinect (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ J. K. Rowling stated at the Edinburgh Book Festival on 15 August 2014 (source) that all portraits at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry are of deceased individuals. Thus, Abbott must have died sometime in or before 1993, given his portrait's appearance in the Grand Staircase in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter for Kinect - Giffard's portrait is seen in the headmaster's office, although this is this only source that places his portrait there.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Pure-Blood" at Pottermore
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Malfoy Family" at Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) - Chapter 22 (The Diary)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) - GBA version
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- ↑ http://www.behindthename.com/name/giffard
- ↑ http://www.wordnik.com/words/Abbott