Gideon Prewett (d. 1981) was a pure-blood wizard, the brother of both Fabian and Molly. Gideon was a member of the Order of the Phoenix during the First Wizarding War. He was killed by five Death Eaters before the end of the war, along with his brother.
Gideon was born into the wizarding Prewett family, with his two known siblings: Fabian and Molly. Under the First Wizarding War, Molly, Gideon's sister, married Arthur Weasley, and the couple eventually had seven children.
First Wizarding War
During the First Wizarding War, Gideon and his brother decided to join the ranks of the Order of the Phoenix to fight against Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Their sister does not appear to have been an official member, probably because she had young children to take care of.
Eventually, however, Gideon and Fabian were attacked by five Death Eaters, one of whom was Antonin Dolohov. They were described as having "fought like heroes" by fellow Order member Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, though both were ultimately killed. Following Voldemort's fall from power, Dolohov, and perhaps others involved in the Prewetts' "brutal" murders, were imprisoned in Azkaban for the crime.
It has never been shown how Molly coped with the deaths of her brothers. She rarely mentions them, perhaps indicating that she took their loss hard, but when she does, she speaks fondly of them indicating her love for her brothers.
Gideon is a Hebrew name, possibly meaning "mighty warrior". There is a figure in the Bible known as Gideon who is a judge known for his faith and sense of justice.
Behind the scenes
- While Fabian and Gideon are mentioned as having been members of the Order, their sister Molly was not, most likely because she was raising her children, Gideon's nephews, during the First Wizarding War.
- Fabian and Gideon are portrayed by James and Oliver Phelps (the twins, who also portray Fred and George Weasley) in the film adaption of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, presumably portraying Fabian and Gideon as twins as well, though this is never stated in the books.
- It is possible Gideon's sister honoured Fabian and Gideon with the naming of her twin sons. George, one of her twins, has the same first initial as Gideon, 'G'. Her other son, Fred, has the same initial 'F as Fabian'.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in photographs)
Notes and references
- ↑ Gideon appeared in a photograph with Marlene McKinnon that was taken two weeks before Marlene's death in July 1981. This indicates Gideon was alive in the summer of 1981 and must have been killed sometime between then and Voldemort's fall (31 October, 1981).
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix